Here's to the 10 year anniversary of "Painted From Memory"

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

igtmfo33

Here's to the 10 year anniversary of "Painted From Memory"

Post by igtmfo33 »

Greetings.

- Sept. 29, 1998 ... Burt and Elvis Costello's extremely fine CD is released ..

- Oct. 18, 1998 ... The duo's awesome live concert is recorded, produced beautifully musically and video ... with full orchestral backing and Burt's arrangements, conducting, and he's at the piano too - at Sony studios in NY before a small live audience... "Sessions from West 54th" ... which appeared on PBS and later on Bravo channel (?) .. Unfortunately it saw release on VHS only, there is no DVD release ....

If you haven't got the CD yet ...if you have to get one of the two - the CD or the video ... please try to wangle a VHS copy of this beautiful live video session/taping, off Ebay if you can find it ... so brilliant, a shot in the gut for both Burt's arrangements and piano playing ... a high point for any Burt fan .... not to mention Elvis' vocals on "I Don't Know What To Do With Myself,' 'Little Red Book,' 'Make It Easy On Yourself," and 'Anyone Who Had a Heart' ... very spectacular covers, with Burt and orchestra as accompanists ...

Thanks everyone, I had to mark this occasion ... pop the corks, get well lubricated, and watch it again (although no lubrication is needed, to be sure!)

And thanks to Burt and Elvis, have a drink on me!
nymusicalsguy

Re: Here's to the 10 year anniversary of "Painted From Memory"

Post by nymusicalsguy »

And how better to celebrate PFM's 10th than for Burt & Elvis to reunite to write/produce that album for Diana Krall that Burt mentioned in an interview some months back? Here's hoping that it's still happening...while Burt has written some wonderful songs of late with Tonio K, his work with Costello really kick-started the Bacharach renaissance, and Elvis seems to be better than anyone at coaxing Burt gently into the style most reminiscent of his 1960s heyday. Fingers crossed! Until then, thanks, QVC! The bonus EP containing "For The Children" is definitely my most-anticipated purchase for the rest of 2008!!!