Page 11 of 15

Re: Another great song that sounds like Bacharach

Posted: Sun May 29, 2016 2:21 am
by pljms
blueonblue wrote:Great song by Roger Joseph Manning Jr... formerly of the pop band 'Jellyfish'
Drifts into Bacharach territory at 3:44

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ud4N5SvpHCM

'blue'


I think it's in 'Bacharach territory' pretty much from the start. Nice one Blue, thanks for posting.

Here's another David Foster composition from the days when there was still more of a semblance of a Bacharach influence, before it all went a bit bombastic. This is a lovely tune and with a delicious fade.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=l_9g83GIlUE

Re: Another great song that sounds like Bacharach

Posted: Sun May 29, 2016 7:55 am
by blueonblue
pljms wrote:
blueonblue wrote:Great song by Roger Joseph Manning Jr... formerly of the pop band 'Jellyfish'
Drifts into Bacharach territory at 3:44

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ud4N5SvpHCM

'blue'


I think it's in 'Bacharach territory' pretty much from the start. Nice one Blue, thanks for posting.

Here's another David Foster composition from the days when there was still more of a semblance of a Bacharach influence, before it all went a bit bombastic. This is a lovely tune and with a delicious fade.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=l_9g83GIlUE


pljms.
Thanks, that was simply great !
Here's a short 'live' version of my favourite David Foster song (apologies if this has already been posted)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppdPu-TPyTo

'blue'

Re: Another great song that sounds like Bacharach

Posted: Sun May 29, 2016 12:19 pm
by Davide Bonori
Connie Francis “We Have Something More (Than A Summer Love)” 1964: absolutely sounds like BB

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsBeQB9-qRI

Re: Another great song that sounds like Bacharach

Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:56 am
by Martin Johnson
Bacharach has stated in more than one interview that 'Aja' by Steely Dan is one of his favourite albums. I saw a Steely Dan tribute band the other night, ingeniously called Stealing Dan, perform three songs from the album and listening to the complex chord changes and brass arrangement of 'Black Cow' in particular you can hear why it was right up Burt's street. It was Steely Dan's Donald Fagen who once described Bacharach's music as, "Pop songs with Ravel-like chords".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzrDs_Vaho4

Re: Another great song that sounds like Bacharach

Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:21 am
by Sara D
I've seen Stealing Dan a few times over the years and I think they're terrific, and they have to be to play this extraordinary music convincingly. I know some people get a bit sniffy about tribute bands but as it's often the only chance most of us are going to get to hear a lot of wonderful music performed live then I think they're more than worthwhile.

Re: Another great song that sounds like Bacharach

Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:57 am
by blueonblue
A touch of 'Reggae'.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWYchJI0Cv8

'blue'

Re: Another great song that sounds like Bacharach

Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:03 am
by blueonblue
Best known in the UK as that music from the 'Comet' commercial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tdrv0LbCKNo

'blue'

Re: Another great song that sounds like Bacharach

Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:43 am
by Martin Johnson
When Steely Dan's Donald Fagen and Walter Becker both released solo albums it became abundantly clear who out of the two of them was responsible for the Bacharach flavourings in harmony and arrangement that were often evident on Dan's albums. Thirty-four years after first hearing this track it still gives me goosebumps:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sogYgHlNnqo

Re: Another great song that sounds like Bacharach

Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:57 am
by blueonblue
Martin Johnson wrote:When Steely Dan's Donald Fagen and Walter Becker both released solo albums it became abundantly clear who out of the two of them was responsible for the Bacharach flavourings in harmony and arrangement that were often evident on Dan's albums. Thirty-four years after first hearing this track it still gives me goosebumps:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sogYgHlNnqo


Me too Martin, thanks for posting.

Here's Gary Clark former lead singer of Scottish band 'Danny Wilson' with 'Free Floating'.............anyone remember 'Mary's Prayer' ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSH54m6YkZE

'blue'

Re: Another great song that sounds like Bacharach

Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:39 pm
by pljms
I remember once a reviewer describing Harry Nillson's 'The Wailing of the Willow' as "Jobim meets Bacharach". It's a much covered song but remains little known despite its obvious beauty. Listen to Nillson display his extraordinary vocal range at the end, from baritone to high tenor.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jYAMVd2r-D8

Re: Another great song that sounds like Bacharach

Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:17 am
by Sara D
pljms wrote:I remember once a reviewer describing Harry Nillson's 'The Wailing of the Willow' as "Jobim meets Bacharach". It's a much covered song but remains little known despite its obvious beauty. Listen to Nillson display his extraordinary vocal range at the end, from baritone to high tenor.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jYAMVd2r-D8


I've always loved the song and I know of recordings of it by Judith Durham, Liza Minnelli, Astrud Gilberto and Frederick Austerlitz, Fred Astaire to you and I.

Re: Another great song that sounds like Bacharach

Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:31 am
by blueonblue
There's more than a little 'hint' of Burt on this track, composed by the Italian Maestro Ennio Morricone......just listen to the flugelhorn.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wn_Np_EzLic

'blue'

Re: Another great song that sounds like Bacharach

Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:11 pm
by vincent.cole
Bonjour Blue!

What a gem of a instrumental!!

Thank for sharing this with us. Yes I can hear that Burt Magic on the flugelhorn!

Blue, wouldn't it just be great if Burt & Morricone did something together?!

P.S. Glad that you got to see Burt again this year!

Take care mon ami.

Vincent

Re: Another great song that sounds like Bacharach

Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:04 pm
by blueonblue
Bonjour Vincent,
You're very welcome, glad you enjoyed it.
Sadly, a collaboration between Burt and Ennio is unlikely to happen, but I hope I'm proved wrong ?
Really looking forward to Burt's new soundtrack for 'Po'...the title track is beautiful !
It was great to see Burt in the UK again this year, if he tours (hopefully) again next year it will be 5 yrs in a row that Burt will have performed in the UK...we Brit's are very lucky.

Hope you have some wonderful Burt concerts lined up too. :D

Take care mon ami,

'blue'

Re: Another great song that sounds like Bacharach

Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:55 pm
by geoff85
blueonblue wrote:There's more than a little 'hint' of Burt on this track, composed by the Italian Maestro Ennio Morricone......just listen to the flugelhorn.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wn_Np_EzLic

'blue'



Its Morricone so duuuuuuuuuh lol.