Another great song that sounds like Bacharach

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

pljms
Posts: 453
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 8:43 am

Re: Another great song that sounds like Bacharach

Postby pljms » Sun May 29, 2016 2:21 am

blueonblue wrote:Great song by Roger Joseph Manning Jr... formerly of the pop band 'Jellyfish'
Drifts into Bacharach territory at 3:44

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ud4N5SvpHCM

'blue'


I think it's in 'Bacharach territory' pretty much from the start. Nice one Blue, thanks for posting.

Here's another David Foster composition from the days when there was still more of a semblance of a Bacharach influence, before it all went a bit bombastic. This is a lovely tune and with a delicious fade.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=l_9g83GIlUE
pljms

blueonblue
Posts: 1280
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:22 am

Re: Another great song that sounds like Bacharach

Postby blueonblue » Sun May 29, 2016 7:55 am

pljms wrote:
blueonblue wrote:Great song by Roger Joseph Manning Jr... formerly of the pop band 'Jellyfish'
Drifts into Bacharach territory at 3:44

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ud4N5SvpHCM

'blue'


I think it's in 'Bacharach territory' pretty much from the start. Nice one Blue, thanks for posting.

Here's another David Foster composition from the days when there was still more of a semblance of a Bacharach influence, before it all went a bit bombastic. This is a lovely tune and with a delicious fade.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=l_9g83GIlUE


pljms.
Thanks, that was simply great !
Here's a short 'live' version of my favourite David Foster song (apologies if this has already been posted)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppdPu-TPyTo

'blue'

Davide Bonori
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:46 am

Re: Another great song that sounds like Bacharach

Postby Davide Bonori » Sun May 29, 2016 12:19 pm

Connie Francis “We Have Something More (Than A Summer Love)” 1964: absolutely sounds like BB

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsBeQB9-qRI

Martin Johnson
Posts: 323
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:41 am

Re: Another great song that sounds like Bacharach

Postby Martin Johnson » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:56 am

Bacharach has stated in more than one interview that 'Aja' by Steely Dan is one of his favourite albums. I saw a Steely Dan tribute band the other night, ingeniously called Stealing Dan, perform three songs from the album and listening to the complex chord changes and brass arrangement of 'Black Cow' in particular you can hear why it was right up Burt's street. It was Steely Dan's Donald Fagen who once described Bacharach's music as, "Pop songs with Ravel-like chords".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzrDs_Vaho4

Sara D
Posts: 236
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:32 am

Re: Another great song that sounds like Bacharach

Postby Sara D » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:21 am

I've seen Stealing Dan a few times over the years and I think they're terrific, and they have to be to play this extraordinary music convincingly. I know some people get a bit sniffy about tribute bands but as it's often the only chance most of us are going to get to hear a lot of wonderful music performed live then I think they're more than worthwhile.

blueonblue
Posts: 1280
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:22 am

Re: Another great song that sounds like Bacharach

Postby blueonblue » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:57 am

A touch of 'Reggae'.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWYchJI0Cv8

'blue'

blueonblue
Posts: 1280
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:22 am

Re: Another great song that sounds like Bacharach

Postby blueonblue » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:03 am

Best known in the UK as that music from the 'Comet' commercial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tdrv0LbCKNo

'blue'

Martin Johnson
Posts: 323
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:41 am

Re: Another great song that sounds like Bacharach

Postby Martin Johnson » Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:43 am

When Steely Dan's Donald Fagen and Walter Becker both released solo albums it became abundantly clear who out of the two of them was responsible for the Bacharach flavourings in harmony and arrangement that were often evident on Dan's albums. Thirty-four years after first hearing this track it still gives me goosebumps:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sogYgHlNnqo

blueonblue
Posts: 1280
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:22 am

Re: Another great song that sounds like Bacharach

Postby blueonblue » Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:57 am

Martin Johnson wrote:When Steely Dan's Donald Fagen and Walter Becker both released solo albums it became abundantly clear who out of the two of them was responsible for the Bacharach flavourings in harmony and arrangement that were often evident on Dan's albums. Thirty-four years after first hearing this track it still gives me goosebumps:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sogYgHlNnqo


Me too Martin, thanks for posting.

Here's Gary Clark former lead singer of Scottish band 'Danny Wilson' with 'Free Floating'.............anyone remember 'Mary's Prayer' ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSH54m6YkZE

'blue'

pljms
Posts: 453
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 8:43 am

Re: Another great song that sounds like Bacharach

Postby pljms » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:39 pm

I remember once a reviewer describing Harry Nillson's 'The Wailing of the Willow' as "Jobim meets Bacharach". It's a much covered song but remains little known despite its obvious beauty. Listen to Nillson display his extraordinary vocal range at the end, from baritone to high tenor.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jYAMVd2r-D8
pljms

Sara D
Posts: 236
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:32 am

Re: Another great song that sounds like Bacharach

Postby Sara D » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:17 am

pljms wrote:I remember once a reviewer describing Harry Nillson's 'The Wailing of the Willow' as "Jobim meets Bacharach". It's a much covered song but remains little known despite its obvious beauty. Listen to Nillson display his extraordinary vocal range at the end, from baritone to high tenor.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jYAMVd2r-D8


I've always loved the song and I know of recordings of it by Judith Durham, Liza Minnelli, Astrud Gilberto and Frederick Austerlitz, Fred Astaire to you and I.

blueonblue
Posts: 1280
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:22 am

Re: Another great song that sounds like Bacharach

Postby blueonblue » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:31 am

There's more than a little 'hint' of Burt on this track, composed by the Italian Maestro Ennio Morricone......just listen to the flugelhorn.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wn_Np_EzLic

'blue'

vincent.cole
Posts: 788
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:45 pm
Location: Staten Island N.Y.

Re: Another great song that sounds like Bacharach

Postby vincent.cole » Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:11 pm

Bonjour Blue!

What a gem of a instrumental!!

Thank for sharing this with us. Yes I can hear that Burt Magic on the flugelhorn!

Blue, wouldn't it just be great if Burt & Morricone did something together?!

P.S. Glad that you got to see Burt again this year!

Take care mon ami.

Vincent

blueonblue
Posts: 1280
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:22 am

Re: Another great song that sounds like Bacharach

Postby blueonblue » Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:04 pm

Bonjour Vincent,
You're very welcome, glad you enjoyed it.
Sadly, a collaboration between Burt and Ennio is unlikely to happen, but I hope I'm proved wrong ?
Really looking forward to Burt's new soundtrack for 'Po'...the title track is beautiful !
It was great to see Burt in the UK again this year, if he tours (hopefully) again next year it will be 5 yrs in a row that Burt will have performed in the UK...we Brit's are very lucky.

Hope you have some wonderful Burt concerts lined up too. :D

Take care mon ami,

'blue'

geoff85
Posts: 237
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:55 pm

Re: Another great song that sounds like Bacharach

Postby geoff85 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:55 pm

blueonblue wrote:There's more than a little 'hint' of Burt on this track, composed by the Italian Maestro Ennio Morricone......just listen to the flugelhorn.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wn_Np_EzLic

'blue'



Its Morricone so duuuuuuuuuh lol.


Return to “The Burt Bacharach Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests