Another great song that sounds like Bacharach

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Martin Johnson

Re: Another great song that sounds like Bacharach

Post by Martin Johnson »

My old vinyl copy of the Kaleidoscope World album has just been joined by the CD version in recent days. The instrumental Kaleidoscope Affair has undoubted BB touches to it but ultimately owes more to the film music of John Barry.

pljms

Post by pljms »

Yes Martin, 'Kaleidoscope Affair' could almost be a homage to John Barry. However, another instrumental of theirs called 'Coney Island Man' is much more Bacharach-like.

Paul
grooverider

Post by grooverider »

From the booklet to the cd, "The Complete Columbia Singles" by Mark Lindsay, written by Ed Osborne... "Artie [Butler] freely acknowledges the influence of Bacharach/David who'd created their own sub-genre of pop song with rythmically, melodically, and lyrically exciting material for Dionne Warwick over the past eight years."

The song being discussed is written by Artie Butler(who I believe, played on some of Bacharach/David/Warwick sessions) and Jerry Fuller as the b-side to the single "Problem Child", also included on the album, "Silver Bird". Here's the single b-side, "Bookends":

geoff85

Post by geoff85 »

grooverider wrote:From the booklet to the cd, "The Complete Columbia Singles" by Mark Lindsay, written by Ed Osborne... "Artie [Butler] freely acknowledges the influence of Bacharach/David who'd created their own sub-genre of pop song with rythmically, melodically, and lyrically exciting material for Dionne Warwick over the past eight years."

The song being discussed is written by Artie Butler(who I believe, played on some of Bacharach/David/Warwick sessions) and Jerry Fuller as the b-side to the single "Problem Child", also included on the album, "Silver Bird". Here's the single b-side, "Bookends":

This is classic Bacharach. Bacharach probably thinks he wrote this.
geoff85

Post by geoff85 »

This sounds like Bacharach in parts.
geoff85

Post by geoff85 »

This song sounds like old school Bacharach(early sixties) with the muffled horns and all. The Joytones this love.
geoff85

Post by geoff85 »

little anthony and the imperials going out of my head could easily be a bacharach song if u listen to the rythm section. The build up and crescendo even the arrangement of background singers is very Bacharach. I have never really realized it until today now that I have become obsessed with finding Bacharach elements in older songs.

Little anthony and the imperials hurts so bad also has very Bacharachian elements to it.

Little anthony and the imperials good for a lifetime also another bacharach knockoff.

I use to assume these were Bacharach songs when my dad use to play them. when i found out it wasnt i had to find out who wrote it and found out Teddy Randanzzo was a maestro in his own right and have loved alot of his other works.
geoff85

Post by geoff85 »

Does anyone if Bacharach wrote this song? The Exciters thats how love starts? Maybe he was helping Leiber/Stoller?

Djalma Junior

Post by Djalma Junior »

Dear,

I do not know who Stephen Schwartz and John Michael Tebelak were inspired when composed "Day by Day" (from the movie "Godspell"), but there is much similarity with some songs composed by Burt Bacharach:

Regards,
Djalma Jr
grooverider

Post by grooverider »

Sounds like early Bacharach-David, "Rumors" by Johnny Crawford":

"Rumors" hit #12 in 1962 in USA, capitalizing on Mr. Crawford's co-starring status as Chuck Conners' son on the tv show "The Rifleman".
geoff85

Post by geoff85 »

Teddy Randazzo " magic"..... Im probably pushing it with this song but i swear i hear shades of wives and lovers. Teddy's creative approach to production is also Bacharachian. I find Randazzo to be the perfect blend of Bacharach and Lieber Stoller. His singing in parts are going against the beat in a syncopated way. I love the Caribbean Latin influence in this song. Am i grasping here?

Al Hibbler " good for a lifetime". Ill be damned if someone told me Burt did not write the intro but continuing with the theme this is a Teddy Randazzo production.

Steve Lawrence " pretty blue eyes". This one is not obviously similar to Bacharach production. I hear shades of Mexican Divorce in here and other songs i cant put my finger on.
geoff85

Post by geoff85 »

I am posting alot of not so obvious Bacharach sounding songs. Parts of this song give me a whats new pussycat as well as a bond street vibe.

Lou Christie lighting strikes

lulu porter brass bottle...... the melody and production is very futuristic for the times.
Fussi

Post by Fussi »

For me Tony Hatch's "Where Are You Now?" is the best song that Burt Bacharach never wrote. :-D
geoff85

Post by geoff85 »

For me the most Bacharachian non bacharachian song is this one. Shades of walk on by and are you there with another girl at 0:01 and could 0:13 be any more Bacharachian with that Bossa Nova rhythm section.

This Brian Wilson production has the most Bacharachian moment in a song. At 150 to the end if he replaced the trumpets with french horns and added strings no one would have been able to tell Bacharach did not compose that part.

geoff85

Post by geoff85 »

Van mccoys original demo of the song baby im yours has a bacharach sounding touch