Another great song that sounds like Bacharach

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

geoff85

Re: Another great song that sounds like Bacharach

Post by geoff85 »

Teddy Randazzo's "you dont need a heart" sounds classically Randazzoish while having alot of elements you would hear in a Bacharach song. Considering that Randazzo started out before Bacharach i wonder if Randazzo is one of the few pop producers who may have influenced Bacharach. Anybody know?

I hear Bacharach elements in Little Anthonys "good for a lifetime" especially in the ryhthm section sounds like many of Dionnes early song like walk on by and dont make me over. The sweeping srings and glorious background vocals. Randazzo may be the only composer of the pop era to match Bacharachs opulence.

geoff85

Post by geoff85 »

Three Degrees " lonelier are he fools" which was written by Thom Bell's, an already confirmed Bacharach fan/admirer, protege's. This one is probably not as obvious as songs usually posted. But the piano chords from 250 to 255 as well as throughout other part of the song remind me of the wine is young and here i am. Is it a stretch to think the composers of this song heard it and were inspired?

geoff85

Post by geoff85 »

Freddie Scotts Hey Girl written by Brill Building alumn Carole King/Gerry Goffin sounds like an early 60s Bacharach composition especially in the ryhthm section.
geoff85

Post by geoff85 »

The Brill Building productions of the early 60s could be a bit incestuous. Once again another Goffin/KIng song that could pass for Bacharach/Hilliard song. I hear shades of Any Day Now. What do you guys think?
geoff85

Post by geoff85 »

Barbara Streisands starting here starting now(A Richard Maltby/David Shire production) sounds the most like a Bacharach song if ever I ever heard one. Its literally Wanting Things with a few key changes and different lyrics.

geoff85

Post by geoff85 »

Beach Boys " Caroline no" sounds a bit similar to the Bacharach sound of the late 60s.I think Brian Wilson has stated his Bacharach influence as well so not really surprising.

Omg so much feedback on this page!!!!!
geoff85

Post by geoff85 »

A Girl named Eddy " People who used to dream". Sounds like a more modern version of the classic Bacharach sound almost like something I could hear Elvis Costello and Bacharach make in the 90s
geoff85

Post by geoff85 »

Another Goffin/King production Lenny Welch " I was there"
geoff85

Post by geoff85 »

Beach Boys Lets go away for a while. From 100 to the end i consider that an homage to Burt. 130 sounds like the start of Bacharach outro I can hear Dionne wailing and isnt 1"50 isnt that such a Bacharachian quirk?
geoff85

Post by geoff85 »

Bobby Goldsboro's " ths is the time for us" has a classic Brill building sound thanks to Carole King/Gerry Goffin that some could mistake for Bacharach.
Last edited by geoff85 on Sun Aug 28, 2022 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blair N. Cummings

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

Guys, if 416,000 songs "sounded like" Bacharach, there would be nothing unique about his compositions. A "leap" and a couple of odd intervals do not a Bacharach song make.
This is an irrelevant topic and I really wish it could be taken down. :D
geoff85

Post by geoff85 »

Blair N. Cummings wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 10:20 am Guys, if 416,000 songs "sounded like" Bacharach, there would be nothing unique about his compositions. A "leap" and a couple of odd intervals do not a Bacharach song make.
This is an irrelevant topic and I really wish it could be taken down. :D

Does this mean im in trouble? I kind of feel it has slowly turned into songs Burt Bacharach fans would appreciate through the years that sound similar but not identicall. Lets be honest the days of Burt compositions in his trademark mid 60s to early 70s style are probably in the past . The best we can do is unearth songs that approach that level if ever so slightly. As a millenial who didnt have the luxury of growing up in the 60s this thread actually helped me connect to other obscure artists and songs i may otherwise have not. Yes there is only one Burt and his place is cemented in time but that is both the curse and blessing.
Blair N. Cummings

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

Fair enough...but it doesn`t change my mind. :D
geoff85

Post by geoff85 »

Blair N. Cummings wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 1:59 pm Fair enough...but it doesn`t change my mind. :D
Also keep in mind Burt has a couple different sounds. The brassy swingy tin pan alley jives(promises promises, do you know the way to san jose) , the slow somber piano ballads(here i am, windows of the world, alfie), rock and roll(promise her anything, my little red book), songs that could pass as standards(faithfully, heavenly) and the synth sounding 80s tracks( Arthurs Theme, Heartlight, Thats What friends are for). Very often when I feel a song posted may not be a near identical replica I may point out what it made me think of. The worst is that some quality songs might get posted.
geoff85

Post by geoff85 »

The Delfonics you cant be loving him. Thom Bell is always good for a good Burt impersonation in the studio. This actually sounds more Royalettes/Randazzo who for me is a cousin to Burt(musically)