Ron Isley's version of 'Raindrops'

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

pljms

Ron Isley's version of 'Raindrops'

Post by pljms »

If you're wondering where Ron Isley may have got the idea to slow down 'Raindrops Keep Fallin' On My Head' to something resembling a soulful smooch, look no further than Nancy Wilson's version from her 1970 album 'Can't Take My Eyes Off You'. I found the LP in a London market stall going for £6. It was a pleasant surprise to find among the other tracks Bacharach's 'Waiting For Charlie To Come Home' and Jimmy Webb's 'Mixed Up Girl'.
Last edited by pljms on Thu Sep 09, 2004 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sara Dale

Re Ron Isley's version of 'Raindrops'

Post by Sara Dale »

Whenever I hear 'Raindrops' slowed down like this it always makes me think of 'MacArthur Park'! Just sing the chorus of 'MP' followed by 'Raindrops' and you may also see the similarity.
Sara
pljms

Similarity to MacArthur Park

Post by pljms »

Yes, it's that old major to major 7th harmonic sequence which the two songs have in common. George Harrison's 'Something' is another song which features that sequence at the beginning of the famous refrain.
Paul
sundance30

Isley and Bacharach - Oil and Water

Post by sundance30 »

"The idea was a good one, but the end product falls short...way short. Ive been a fan of both guys for years. However....this will not be among my favorites. The arrangements are lush to the point of being overdone and come across sappy. Isleys voice comes across just as sappy. It sounds as if he's trying so hard to put his special mark on the songs to the point that it too becomes lost in sap. The breathy inhaling sound he makes becomes annoying. To sum it up---This sounds like over the top amateur lounge singing. This kind of product is seen all to often in the music industry-- LEGENDARY heavy-weights turning out LIGHT FLUFF... because no one has the nerve to say to them .....-"THIS SOUNDS LIKE CRAP."...... Burt has a wonderful catalog but there are no great interpretations to be found here."