Burt in London

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Barry in the UK

Burt in London

Post by Barry in the UK »

While looking at John Pagano's website I noticed on his Appearances page he has dates in London with Burt scheduled for October 21/22, this is just before the Italian tour. No other details at the moment. If it comes off this will be great news!!
:D

Cheers,

Barry
mark
Site Admin

Re: Burt in London

Post by mark »

It's almost certainly going to happen, Barry. I'm waiting on confirmation of those dates from Burt's publicist before I post the details. Hopefully, that confirmation will arrive shortly.
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Mark/Barry

Hope you're both well. Is there any further news on the possible UK appearance yet? I'm on tenterhooks here!!!

Thanks
Andrew :D
nowmedical

Post by nowmedical »

Barry and Andrew,

what worries me is I've been through all the major London venues I know and everywhere has got something on for the 21st and 22nd October - Hammersmith, Wembley Arena, Royal Festival Hall, Royal Albert Hall, Earls Court, O2, Cadogan Hall etc. are all booked.

So perhaps we can expect somewhere really intimate - say the Jazz Club in Camden or 100 Club in Oxford Street? If so, tickets will be gold.
someonenameddavid

Post by someonenameddavid »

My usually reliable source states that Burt will be using a full orchestra in the UK and therefore will not need the services of an exquisitely talented violinist. :(

David
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is.
pljms

Post by pljms »

The idea of Burt Bacharach playing either that toilet otherwise known as the 100 Club in Oxford Street or that glorified foyer referred to as the Jazz Cafe in Camden would fill me with dimay if it was going to happen. It wont as there's no chance of BB ever lowering himself to play in such holes. Trust me on this, I've been to both venues to see local jazz musicians and the idea of Burt with an orchestra at either of them is farcical. I've checked at the Barbican and he's not scheduled to appear there either, so maybe this phantom UK gig is set for outside of London.
Paul
nowmedical

Post by nowmedical »

Fairfield Halls Croydon? Brixton Academy? The Fridge or Ministry of Sound? Knebworth even? The mind boggles....
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Mmmm, outside of London?

Well, how about the 2008 European Capital of Culture which, coincidently, has a great brand new waterfront arena venue (and a fantastic philharmonic orchestra!)

Come back to Liverpool Burt!
:D
dustybulletin

Post by dustybulletin »

Burt Bacharach with BBC Concert Orchestra - Performing as part of the BBC Electric Proms
Wednesday 22 October
Legendary American songwriter and performer Burt Bacharach opens proceedings at the Roundhouse when he performs with the BBC Concert Orchestra accompanied by three guest vocalists, Adele, Beth Rowley and Jamie Cullum.
Laura

Post by Laura »

I went to the website for the Roundhouse in London. It said the performance is sold out for Oct 22.

Laura
someonenameddavid

Post by someonenameddavid »

This explains why the ever-gracious miss Eliza James is not playing that gig.... takes a whole orchestra to replace her...

David
(but it does mean she gets to stay at home and have some family time :wink: )
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is.
deborah

Post by deborah »

I've managed to get tickets for the 22nd at the Roundhouse for my family . This will be my forth time seeing the very one and only Mr Bacharach in concert, can't wait. SO HAPPY that both my children will get to see this great composer in concert.
pljms

Post by pljms »

With Jamie Cullam and Adele featured as guest vocalists I'm not surprised the concert sold out in a matter of hours. As the concert is part of the BBC's 'Electric Proms' series I assume it will either be televised or recorded for radio broadcast at some later date. Apart from his appearence on Jools Holland's 'Later' three years ago, It must be well over 30 years since Bacharach appeared on British TV in a purely musical context. An utterly ludicrous state of affairs I think you'll all agree.
Paul
pljms

Post by pljms »

Beth Rowley is obviously a very talented lady as I see she's scheduled to be in two places at once on the evening of October 22nd, London's Roundhouse for the Bacharach concert and St George's in Bristol for a solo gig. Maybe they'll ask Amy Winehouse to take her place at the Roundhouse!
Paul
pljms

Post by pljms »

The concert at the Roundhouse on October 22nd is being broadcast on BBC Radio 2 on Friday the 24th between 7:30 and 9:15pm. BBC's online Listen Again facility will bail out all those who can't tune in live.
Paul