Will Burt and Macca, the last melodists, ever hook up?

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

igtmfo33

Will Burt and Macca, the last melodists, ever hook up?

Post by igtmfo33 »

Paul McCartney just turned 66. Burt 80, right?

Just read that George Carlin went to his maker tonight, and either got a merit badge or a slight reprimand :)

I've thought of opening this thread for years.

Burt hasn't ever expressed, that I've ever read, any real appreciation of the Beatles.

Nor has Paul McCartney ever gushed over Burt, or any quote that I can think of.

My guess is that there is really no dislike, but no admiration, between the two ...

But there wasn't much love from Burt towards E. Costello (did he know who Elvis was?, very slightly, before someone pointed out that Burt should write with him ... ) . And there wasn't much from Paul toward E. Costello either.

But Elvis somehow coaxed each of their last, best writing ... with Macca "My Brave Face" (and some others?) .. and of course Burt's fantastic work with Elvis that will be 10 years old in a few months .... (the live TV-recorded session with strings etc. at Sony studios, to the uninitiated, is among Burt's best moments ....)

Let's lock Burt and Paul up in a hotel suite over some project ... to write melodies if not finished tunes, and have Hal David in the next room to put some words in ..

I'm an optimist, that for both, there is something great yet to come ... together, the odds go up !!
beatlefan1957

Re: Will Burt and Macca, the last melodists, ever hook up?

Post by beatlefan1957 »

I agree that the combo would be wonderful.
B.T.W. though--
You should REALLY check out "At This time" from 2005.
It is one of Mr. Bacharach's strongest efforts!
"Go Ask Shakespeare" and "Who are These People" rank up there with some of
his finest work.
An Enormous BB Fan

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

Speaking of "At This Time": Am I the only one who thinks that "Danger" is one of the most remarkable pieces of music that Burt has written? I must be, because no one ever mentions it.

And my fervent wish is that the sheet music for "At This Time" will be published -- but, alas, it won't be, since it's already been 10 years since the CD was released. The time for the song folio to come out is long since passed. And, unfortunately for me, I need sheet music to play songs that I know and love.
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

I can tell you that Burt was very inspired by the Beatles during the 60's,
and held them in high esteem....he has acknowledged their
influence in a tv special from the early 70's , and in that show, actually plays his version on the piano of "Yesterday"...
Burt did meet with Paul and Linda Mccartney in NYC to have dinner a few years ago.
I think it would be great if Paul and Burt were to write together...
perhaps someday it will happen.

Steveo
Errand of Mercy

Post by Errand of Mercy »

An Enormous BB Fan wrote:And my fervent wish is that the sheet music for "At This Time" will be published -- but, alas, it won't be, since it's already been 10 years since the CD was released. The time for the song folio to come out is long since passed.
Actually, it's not 10 years but 3, but I'm afraid you're right, and I sympathize with your wish :wink: