Another Opportunity: Milton Nascimento and Lô Borges

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Rio

Another Opportunity: Milton Nascimento and Lô Borges

Post by Rio »

Asked about what music he liked to listen to, Burt once said, and I paraphrase, "Early Milton Nascimento and Djavan." He added that he didn't like to listen to Brazilian music when he was composing. I would love to know for sure the reason why...

I suggest that you look at the Amazon reviews for Clube da Esquina (there are 35 five-star reviews and one four-star review by someone who says he hasn't been affected by music that way "in ages"...).

I now want to to make available Trem Azul, one of many brilliant pieces from this first album by Milton Nascimento (and the often neglected Lô Borges). I think the entire album should be listened to from beginning to end many times before one starts picking and choosing, because all songs are great, even if many are very different from each other.

http://download.yousendit.com/00DA6FDC4807EECC

(Doesn't that solo guitar and the understated way it fits in with the rest sound like it could have come from Burt's sensitive ingenuity?)

I do this hoping that some of you will eventually have a sense of what this guy could possibly have that attracted Burt so much -- and want to pursue the subject further, either professionaly or for sheer musical enjoyment. I sure hope that some of you will buy the album, for I hate to think that I am cheating Milton & Cia by promoting the precise opposite of the intended effect.

I recommended this album before. If someone bought it on account of that or already owned it, please let me know what you think of it.
osvaldo-rio-brazil

Japanesse guitar girl

Post by osvaldo-rio-brazil »

Isn’t it a great little girl in love with life?

Kaori Muraji (the girl in the film) plays Bacharach's This Girl's In Love With You

Sublime, Osvaldo from Rio de Janeiro
helcio mazzuco

Post by helcio mazzuco »

Hello Rio,
You're right ! "Clube Da Esquina" is a Brazilian classic !
Antonio Carlos Jobim also recorded "O Trem Azul" in two different versions, one sung in Portuguese and the other in English.
Take care