What should be included in a Bacharach FAQ?

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

mark
Site Admin

What should be included in a Bacharach FAQ?

Post by mark »

I'm sure a lot of people have been tricked into thinking the FAQ link at the top is Frequently Asked Questions about Burt, as opposed to questions about the operation of the board.

I've been wanting to post a FAQ about Burt for a few years but up until now I've been too busy (or lazy) to get it done. Now that we've got this spiffy new forum, it seems a good time to elicit your help in assembling a Bacharach FAQ to address some of the more commonly asked questions posted to the forum.

So what questions ought to be included in a Burt FAQ? I'm completely open to suggestions.
SEM

FAQ

Post by SEM »

Seems to me that every now and then, someone here at the forum asks which songs Burt sings himself. Also, books written about Burt seem to be of interest.
x

Burt's birth date

Post by x »

Different people claim very authoritative sources -- including Burt himself -- attribute different days to that important date in the history of civilization. I seem to recall that you asked him after a show, but others claim they asked it point blank also and got a different answer from him.
So if we can't clear that up, this is a non-starter.
mark
Site Admin

Post by mark »

I didn't ask him after a show. One of the forum's correspondents, Roberto de la Garza, if I recall correctly, said that while talking with Burt after a show, the topic of his birthday came up in the context of their conversation (as opposed to Roberto asking Burt point blank). Burt responded that an early bio had erroneously reported his birth year as 1928 and he had never bothered to correct it. But the true date, he said, was May 12, 1929.

I've thought about trying to get a clarification, but, ultimately, the answer isn't worth bothering Burt or his publicist. At least I don't think it is.
x

Birt's date and the relevance to all responses to FAQ

Post by x »

Birt's date and it's relevance to all responses to FAQ.

Maybe it isn't that important, but if you get the date wrong all the other information will be called into question. In fact, even if you do get it right someone may think it is wrong -- that's why it has to be asked to him point blank by someone who states that this will be the information posted here. Then the FAQ should say that there is a controversy that is not ignored, but Burt was asked on such and such date and answered that...

Also, as long as people do not feel confident about the actual date they will hesitate to write about that important date in the history of civilization. And possibly they'll hesitate to write short bios etc. and use other info you provide here.

So I made my case. Ultimately it is up to you. I could ask his manager, whom I know well, but then again I am not as credible a source as the manager himself or, more to the point, Burt.
warbachavid

Post by warbachavid »

Burt is 75 years old.
Jay

Post by Jay »

Burt is 75 years old.
Wow, time flies when you're having fun. I knew he was that age cause he is the same age as my father but I never think about him being that old. Even though I have been to a few of his recent concerts when I think of him while playing his music (which is all the time) I think of him of how he looked in the 60s and 70s.

Remember his song Nikki? Wonder how old his daugher (who he wrote the song for) is now. Wonder what she is up to. Is she in the music biz?