An amazing night in Modena

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Carlo

An amazing night in Modena

Post by Carlo »

An amazing Tuesday night in Modena. After that I met up in Parma with the two renowned Italian Bacharach scholars, Roberto Pinardi and Davide Bonori, and with the well known local disc jockey Robert Passera, we drove to Modena where the maestro was to perform with his band and his chorus at 9:30 pm. We first stopped by the central cafe on the main square where Roberto Pinardi and Robert Passera set up a sort of Burt Bacharach shrine, in which glass cabinets display all Bacharach’s original recordings (from the famous Pinardi collection) and several pictures of the maestro are in view. Then, after a light meal, filled with expectations, we walked to the nearby park where the concert was given. Yet hardly had we got into the pavilion when we realised disappointingly that our first-row seats (naturally the first four which had been sold two months before, about 60 American dollars each) were not in front of the stage, as we expected, but the first four starting from the left. The disappointment vanished when the maestro appeared on stage, fit, tanned, smiling radiantly, a loud applause and “What the World Needs Now Is Love” emphasising the moment. The show continued according to the schedule which the members of the forum know only too well: a long medley of big hits (too many to quote), a movie medley, Bacharach’s very first four hits (among which “The Blob”, which prompted amusement both on stage and in the audience) and four or five complete songs (“God Give Me Strength” “I Still Have The Other Girl in My Head”, which he wrote with “the brilliant” Costello, as Burt himself said, “Alfie” , “The Windows of the World” and “Raindrops” which the maestro sang with his husky emotional voice). The audience responded enthusiastically to this impressive music cascade which spans 50 years and has no equal. At the end of the concert the great Robert Passera succeeded in taking us backstage where after a short while the maestro appeared, smiling, with a sweater on (the night was a bit cool). We were able to chat with him for half an hour. We took pictures (which Roberto Pinardi will be sending soon to the site) and he signed photographs. I was a bit tense but managed to tell him that I’ve been listening to his music ever since I was 11. He laughed and told me: “Carlo, don’t stop”. I said: “You bet I won’t, till I die”. I also told him his music has a sort of therapeutical effect on me. He replied that he gives concerts not for the money but because he wants to share this kind of emotions in front of his fans and a live audience. Unfortunately he declined our offer to visit the “shrine” dedicated to him because he had to leave early in the morning for Pescara, where he gave a concert yesterday. He’ll be performing in Perugia, Lucca and Rome during this short Italian tour. Surely a night to remember.

All the best
Carlo
mark
Site Admin

Post by mark »

Thanks for the great report, Carlo. I would have loved to have been there to witness this historic meeting between Burt and two of the world's most renowned Bacharach scholars/fans. You, Roberto and Davide almost certainly know more about Burt's many compositions than he does himself. It would have been great to listen in on your conversation. I can't wait to see the photos.
Roberto Pinardi

Modena!

Post by Roberto Pinardi »

:D Thanks, big Carlo !

Rob
Carlo

Post by Carlo »

Thanks for the appreciation.

Carlo