could've been a Burt song....

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

nowmedical

could've been a Burt song....

Post by nowmedical »

Here's a challenge for everyone - list a song that sounds like it's a Burt song, but isn't.....?

How about this one for starters?

steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

I think the song "Music" by Tony Hatch rather sounds Bacharachish...

Steveo
gabba

!!!!

Post by gabba »

"after the love is gone" by Earth wind and fire sounds a lot like a Burt's song..ciao GABBA
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

You'd Better Come Home by Petula Clark(Tony Hatch song)
Hurt So Bad- Little Anthony and The Imperials Teddy Randazzo-BobWeinstein Song
Steve Schenck

burt-kind-of-song

Post by Steve Schenck »

The first time I heard it, I thought this song WAS by Burt. It was in the late 60's, I think; by the 5th Dimension: "Last Night I Couldn't Get to Sleep at All"
grooverider

Post by grooverider »

"Till Love Touches Your Life", Riz Ortolani's theme from "Madron" with lyrics by Arthur Hamilton (Cry Me A River), especially the Richard Williams vocal. The film came out in 1970.
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

You're right Steve! I remember that tune..How about the 6th's on the piano solo in the middle? Pure Bacharach!
helcio mazzuco

Post by helcio mazzuco »

Hi, there!
Coincidentally, I was about to post something related to this ...
I recently bought The Stylistics' 1973 album (on CD) "Rockin'Roll Baby", the last one produced by Thom Bell, and the sequence..."Could This Be The End"..."Let Them Work It Out"..."Make It Last"..."Pay Back Is A Dog"..."Love Comes Easy" is pure Bacharach...
For those who love the Bacharach influenced artists and also the Philly Soul sound of the 70's, I highly recommend this album...
What the world will always need is...Bacharach music
Love
blueonblue

I GO TO SLEEP...

Post by blueonblue »

Another song with a "Bacharach" flavour !!!

"blue"
scotsgreg

Non-Bacharach Bacharach

Post by scotsgreg »

It's a tough call because, after Bacharach's watershed year of 1970, so many early-1970s adult contemporary acts aped his sound, although I think Thom Bell was the most brilliant at taking the Bacharach approach and effectively shaping it and keeping it relevant for the contemporary pop and soul market of the era. In a sense, I think the establishment of Gamble, Huff and Bell's rich, uptown Philly sound with its syncopated rhythms, creamy strings and sophisticated, muted horn charts significantly undermined Bacharach's presence and credibility in the singles marketplace, particularly as his own work took on an arguably blander, easy listening flavor. He simply started to sound out of touch by comparison.

These three 1971-72 Philly hits alone employ the smart textures (flugelhorn, scratch guitar and bells intact) and staggered rhythms of Bacharach's mid- to late-1960s work, but with a more soulful undercurrent comparable to his early-1960s work with Dionne Warwick, Chuck Jackson and The Drifters, simply smoothed out for the laid-back '70s. There are even thematic and lyrical similarities:

Break Up To Make Up-The Stylistics
Stop, Look, Listen-The Stylistics
People Make The World Go 'Round-The Stylistics

I think it's a telling statement that Dionne Warwick and Dusty Springfield both ended up recording hit records with Bell after their Bacharach successes. My two cents!
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

Scottsgreg,
I agree with you 100 percent...your observations are right on...
I would add to that list,"You Are Everything", although
"Breakup to Makeup" is the ultimate non-bacharach production of theirs that resemles Bacharach...
Enjoyed your post!

Steveo
bonkersforburt

another 5th dimension song

Post by bonkersforburt »

jimmy webb's "girl's song" is the best song burt never wrote...I'd like to make a long distance call to a number in west LA
blueonblue

Thom Bell...

Post by blueonblue »

Thom Bell's "Masterpiece" !!!

"blue"
Martyn

Sounds Like Burt

Post by Martyn »

What a great topic idea!

I think I mentioned this way back but there's an album by a Scottish band called The Pearlfishers called 'Across the Milky Way'. Much of the music sounds as if it was ghost-written by Burt. In fact I reckon two of the tracks would have fitted nicely on one of his early A&M albums! They are: 'The Vampires of Camelon' and 'Is it Any Wonder?'. It's the brass arrangements with flugelhorns etc that do it. But Burt's influence is apparently also on other albums by this group and the principal songwriter, David Scott, is a big fan of Mr B.

The Dave Grusin instrumental piece 'Mitch and Abby' from the soundtrack to the movie thriller 'The Firm' has a touch of Burt, and the Stylistics' 'People Make the World Go Round' to me also has a Bacharach feel to it.

'Last Night I Didn't Get to Sleep At All' by Tony Macauley also seems to have Burt's influence.

And I almost forgot - 'Caroline, No' by the Beach Boys.

Martyn.
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

2 movie themes from the early 70's are influenced by Burt

Theme from "MOve"- music by Marvin Hamlisch
"Where's Poppa" Theme by Jack Elliot and Alyn Ferguson.