The Balance of Nature

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

BB4LIFE

The Balance of Nature

Post by BB4LIFE »

Hey everyone. One of my favorite songs of Burt and Hal's is "The Balance of Nature." And the version I'm talking about is the one where Burt is singing with a woman. I've searched a few times to try to find out who the other half of this duo was but have come up empty handed. Does anyone know who she is? Thanks a lot and take care.

BB4LIFE
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

I don't know the answer to your question, BB4LIFE, but I do like the "bridge' to this song....("day by day, we search for love" etc)
I'm not aware of the version you are speaking of...I'm only familiar with the one on his Album..is it called "Burt Bacharach", I think? The american release on A&M has a huge picture of Burt's face, and contains the song "Something Big" on it. I don't recall any woman on this cut of Balance of Nature singing with him. Perhaps she does on the refrain "The Balance of NAture" goes on...it's been years since I've heard this album.

Steveo
Last edited by steveo_1965 on Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blueonblue

UNKNOWN SINGER ???

Post by blueonblue »

Steveo,
I think the album you are referring to, is called "Living Together"
and the singer who is duetting with Burt is strangely uncredited
on the album sleeve for some unknown reason ???
The album also contains an instrumental version of "Lost Horizon"
which is an absolute knock-out !!!!!!!

Dionne's beautiful rendition............

PS
BB4LIFE..........Sorry I couldn't name the singer ???

Take Care,
"blue"
gabba

no duet with Burt!

Post by gabba »

HELLO!!..sorry to say that the only duet present on album "living together" is "i come to you" and is sang by Tony Middleton and Cissy Houston...Burt sings only in the following tracks and only by himself:"something big","the balance of nature",and"lost horizon"..
bye GABBA
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

Hi Gabba,
You're right........it's not really a duet on "Balance Of Nature"
but more of a "backing" vocal...

"blue"
PS
I'd still like to know who the singer is though ???
gabba

sally stevens..

Post by gabba »

what an ear you have!!dear Blue!!
the singer who leads along with Burt is Sally Stevens.(beautiful woman by the way)..one of his girl's chorus...is not what it says a duet but i know what you mean now.. CIAO GABBA
blueonblue

SALLY STEVENS !!!

Post by blueonblue »

Gabba,
Grazie !!! :D

Ciao,
"blue"
igtmfo33

Post by igtmfo33 »

Thinking of this tune ..

The bridge on this tune like Steveo65 says is a huge thing. It's a a big-time beautiful BB tune in itself, 2 separate melodies in 10 or 12 bars ... each of these 2 hooks would be a great base for a standalone verse/tune ... let alone a "throwaway" bridge that only comes around one time ... hey sorry nothing of Burt's is a throwaway, I stand corrected. Anyway it's a fine way to usher out - sadly - his Dionne and Hal work, a cornerstone of a real nice LP.

I wonder if Burt has enough "longing" left in him for another superb E. Costello-like collaboration ...