Burt in Brisbane with The Queensland Orchestra

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Martyn

Burt in Brisbane with The Queensland Orchestra

Post by Martyn »

I had the pleasure of taking my mother to see Burt perform at the Brisbane Convention Centre last Friday evening.

There would have been 2000-2500 at the show, I'd say.

A fantastic night with several standing ovations at the end.

Burt started with a medley of hits, too numerous to mention here. This was followed by a few songs performed in full, including a rousing and heartfelt rendition of 'Anyone Who Had a Heart' sung by Josie James.

Burt and the orchestra played four pieces from 'At This Time': 'Go Ask Shakespeare' and 'Who Are These People' with great vocals by John Pagano, 'Where Did it Go', and 'In Our Time' featuring Tom Ehlen on muted trumpet - superb!

This was followed by a movie medley starting off with the orchestral version (the best version!) of 'The Look of Love'.

Throughout the show Burt engaged with the orchestra on subjects well known to us fans, such as his motivation for writing lyrics on 'At This Time'.

I think the only hit that wasn't played during the show was 'Promises Promises' though, at the end of the night, Burt did jokingly play the first bar of this song on the piano after he had just said "Okay we'll sing 'Raindrops' one more time and then we're outta here - that's a promise!"

An outstanding night!

Martyn
Melbourne
Martyn

Slight Correction

Post by Martyn »

A slight correction to my previous post: It was the audience, not the orchestra, that Burt engaged with on those topics familiar to us fans.

Burt was certainly engaged with the orchestra musically and was clearly enjoying himself.

What amazes me is his energy. He's been to Perth, Adelaide, Brisbane and now Sydney in the space of two weeks, performing with a different orchestra in each city. He's obviously still keeps very fit!

Martyn.
vincent.cole

Reply: Martyn

Post by vincent.cole »

:D Bonjour Martyn;

Thanks for sharing the joy of the Burt Concert with us!

I know that you had a great time! 8)

Take care mon ami.

Vincent