Page 78 of 82

Re: Put Your Youtube.com Links Here! (if you want)

Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:25 pm
by blueonblue
Nice Bacharach / Morricone 'pastiche'....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGkqtv-tzk0

'blue'

Re: Put Your Youtube.com Links Here! (if you want)

Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:00 am
by Sara D
blueonblue wrote:Nice Bacharach / Morricone 'pastiche'....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGkqtv-tzk0

'blue'


The Pearlfishers must be really steeped in the music of both composers.

Re: Put Your Youtube.com Links Here! (if you want)

Posted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:37 pm
by blueonblue
Sara D wrote:
blueonblue wrote:Nice Bacharach / Morricone 'pastiche'....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGkqtv-tzk0

'blue'


The Pearlfishers must be really steeped in the music of both composers.


Sara,
Sounds like there's also a Paddy McAloon (Prefab Sprout) vibe going on as well....


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9KgFqUvics

And Brian Wilson..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_nydYpEoBg

'blue'

Re: Put Your Youtube.com Links Here! (if you want)

Posted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:54 am
by Sara D
Thanks Blue. They've certainly got a healthy set of influences.

Probably the most famous British retro band are Swing Out Sister, still going strong after more than thirty years and who's 1989 album 'Kaleidoscope World' managed to betray the influence of not only Bacharach and Webb but also John Barry, Tony Hatch, Michel Legrand, Jobim, Morricone and Brian Wilson. SOS are basically Corinne Drewery and Andy Connell and here's a more recent instrumental track of theirs.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DJrvjwhGn6k

Re: Put Your Youtube.com Links Here! (if you want)

Posted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:47 am
by blueonblue
Sara D wrote:Thanks Blue. They've certainly got a healthy set of influences.

Probably the most famous British retro band are Swing Out Sister, still going strong after more than thirty years and who's 1989 album 'Kaleidoscope World' managed betray the influence of not only Bacharach and Webb but also John Barry, Tony Hatch, Michel Legrand, Jobim, Morricone and Brian Wilson. SOS are basically Corinne Drewery and Andy Connell and here's a more recent instrumental track of theirs.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DJrvjwhGn6k


Sara, many thanks for that wonderful track.....vastly underrated band.
I remember posting this song a few years ago....but what the heck !
Beautiful Jimmy Webb Production.
No pun intended :)

'blue'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_yuQ3-eEDE

Re: Put Your Youtube.com Links Here! (if you want)

Posted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:27 am
by Martin Johnson
'Forever Blue', I think you have the title of your autobiography right there, Blue. Although Swing Out Sister as producers engaged Jimmy Webb to do the string arrangement on that track and 'Precious Words', it was 'You On My Mind' which I think most showed his influence as a writer, particularly his work with the 5th Dimension:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CU9pEi3ByTw

Re: Put Your Youtube.com Links Here! (if you want)

Posted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:06 pm
by blueonblue
Martin, absolutely agree.
Just been listening to 'The Magic Garden' album,this song could almost have been written for 'Swing Out Sister'


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EazY2R6HHoo

'blue'

Re: Put Your Youtube.com Links Here! (if you want)

Posted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:55 am
by Martin Johnson
The instrumental section which makes up the last 1min 20secs of 'Where in the World' from Swing Out Sister's 'Kaleidoscope World' album is pure aural bliss:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGE56t_xuv8

Re: Put Your Youtube.com Links Here! (if you want)

Posted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:00 am
by blueonblue
Martin Johnson wrote:The instrumental section which makes up the last 1min 20secs of 'Where in the World' from Swing Out Sister's 'Kaleidoscope World' album is pure aural bliss:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGE56t_xuv8


Sublime !!!

'blue'

Re: Put Your Youtube.com Links Here! (if you want)

Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:01 pm
by pljms
When is a song not a song? When it's an instrumental. I've long thought that this is one of Burt's most ingenious tunes, played here on the piano.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NsFOgRmdVDs

Re: Put Your Youtube.com Links Here! (if you want)

Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:02 pm
by blueonblue
pljms wrote:When is a song not a song? When it's an instrumental. I've long thought that this is one of Burt's most ingenious tunes, played here on the piano.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NsFOgRmdVDs


Lovely theme, always wondered why it was never included in the actual film ?
Thank you for posting.

'blue'

Re: Put Your Youtube.com Links Here! (if you want)

Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:57 am
by pljms
Blue, I believe 'The Sundance Kid' theme was composed after Bacharach had completed the soundtrack, but soon enough to be included on his album based on the film's music.

Re: Put Your Youtube.com Links Here! (if you want)

Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:13 am
by blueonblue
pljms wrote:Blue, I believe 'The Sundance Kid' theme was composed after Bacharach had completed the soundtrack, but soon enough to be included on his album based on the film's music.


Thank you for the info.

'blue'

Re: Put Your Youtube.com Links Here! (if you want)

Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:48 pm
by someonenameddavid
Try the quartet 404
https://youtu.be/uWHpcQ35qsA

Re: Put Your Youtube.com Links Here! (if you want)

Posted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:41 am
by Martin Johnson
pljms wrote:When is a song not a song? When it's an instrumental. I've long thought that this is one of Burt's most ingenious tunes, played here on the piano.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NsFOgRmdVDs


Paul, people calling purely instrumental pieces of music which have never had lyrics attached to them "songs" has long been a bugbear of mine too. Yes, this is undoubtedly one of BB's best instrumentals and it's a shame that it didn't feature in the Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid movie:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-z21EHspIwM