Put Your Youtube.com Links Here! (if you want)

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Blair N. Cummings
Posts: 992
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2004 4:14 pm

Re: Put Your Youtube.com Links Here! (if you want)

Postby Blair N. Cummings » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:53 pm

These "specials" (as they were called in the U. S.) were the subject years ago here of much clamor for their DVD release. I opined that there were probably too many licensing problems given the number of performers who appeared and (often) lip-sync-ed their recordings.

But now - in the (largely) post-disc era - couldn`t some enterprising YouTuber make these available? Yeah, mostly they were just Greatest Hits fests but the vintage footage grows more valuable every year. I used to call my local ABC network affiliate months in advance to learn when the next show was being aired. It would be a real treat to see them again.

blueonblue
Posts: 1379
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:22 am

Re: Put Your Youtube.com Links Here! (if you want)

Postby blueonblue » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:38 pm

Another "magic moment" from one of those Superb 'Bacharach TV Specials'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPXX7OQqMXY

An "official" DVD / Blu-ray release of all those "vintage" shows is long overdue.

'blue'

hereiam
Posts: 101
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:40 pm

Re: Put Your Youtube.com Links Here! (if you want)

Postby hereiam » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:02 pm

Macarthur Park done by a Chinese singer with a full orchestra (live) and it is even longer than Richard Harris' version...
https://vimeo.com/323544840

Sara D
Posts: 295
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:32 am

Re: Put Your Youtube.com Links Here! (if you want)

Postby Sara D » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:26 am

blueonblue wrote:Another "magic moment" from one of those Superb 'Bacharach TV Specials'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPXX7OQqMXY

An "official" DVD / Blu-ray release of all those "vintage" shows is long overdue.

'blue'


The kids in that excerpt from one of Burt's specials were from the Corona Theatre School in Hampton, West London, one of whom if you look closely near the end is Nicholas Lyndhurst of 'Only Fools And Horses' fame. I believe the school is now known as the Ravenscourt Theatre School. Other notable former pupils of the school include Dennis Waterman, Francesca Annis, Richard O'Sullivan, Susan George, Ray Winstone, Patsy Kensit and Mark Lester who starred as 'Oliver' in the 1968 film musical.

blueonblue
Posts: 1379
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:22 am

Re: Put Your Youtube.com Links Here! (if you want)

Postby blueonblue » Sun May 19, 2019 4:23 pm


blueonblue
Posts: 1379
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:22 am

Re: Put Your Youtube.com Links Here! (if you want)

Postby blueonblue » Sun May 26, 2019 8:42 am

I disagree with him about 'Painted From Memory'.....but apart from that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbtQ9SnkvVA

'blue'

pljms
Posts: 618
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 8:43 am
Location: London

Re: Put Your Youtube.com Links Here! (if you want)

Postby pljms » Sun May 26, 2019 3:52 pm

blueonblue wrote:I disagree with him about 'Painted From Memory'.....but apart from that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbtQ9SnkvVA

'blue'


I could have done without the terms "easy listening" and "cheesy". I wonder if he's one of us?

Watching the 1962 British film 'It's Trad, Dad', known in the States as 'Ring a Ding Rhythm', on TV this evening was a diverting experience to put it mildly. It featured well over twenty musical numbers performed by a whole host of American artists from that era like Del Shannon and Chubby Checker plus a who's who of British traditional jazz bands during that genre's boom period. It also featured Gene McDaniels lip-syncing and cigarette smoking his way through a majestic 'Another Tear Falls'. Look out for singer Helen Shapiro at the very beginning of the excerpt and she was the film's main star in her first acting role.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DhyVoX1GPHM
Paul

blueonblue
Posts: 1379
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:22 am

Re: Put Your Youtube.com Links Here! (if you want)

Postby blueonblue » Sun May 26, 2019 5:20 pm

pljms wrote:
blueonblue wrote:I disagree with him about 'Painted From Memory'.....but apart from that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbtQ9SnkvVA

'blue'


I could have done without the terms "easy listening" and "cheesy". I wonder if he's one of us?

Watching the 1962 British film 'It's Trad, Dad', known in the States as 'Ring a Ding Rhythm', on TV this evening was a diverting experience to put it mildly. It featured well over twenty musical numbers performed by a whole host of American artists from that era like Del Shannon and Chubby Checker plus a who's who of British traditional jazz bands during that genre's boom period. It also featured Gene McDaniels lip-syncing and cigarette smoking his way through a majestic 'Another Tear Falls'. Look out for singer Helen Shapiro at the very beginning of the excerpt and she was the film's main star in her first acting role.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DhyVoX1GPHM


Paul,
I've never understood the "easy listening" tag attached to Burt's music ???

Devastating performance from Gene McDaniels !

'blue'

Martin Johnson
Posts: 416
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:41 am

Re: Put Your Youtube.com Links Here! (if you want)

Postby Martin Johnson » Fri May 31, 2019 4:46 am

I never thought much of Another Tear Falls until I heard Gene MacDaniels' riveting performance of the song. Hearing it again now courtesy of this thread made me think of another Bacharach and David song he recorded, this one a real rarity from 1959 and one with interesting enough chord changes to inspire a legendary jazz saxophonist to record:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2f_ndvPOxr0

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EvKWzVLS1VU

blueonblue
Posts: 1379
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:22 am

Re: Put Your Youtube.com Links Here! (if you want)

Postby blueonblue » Fri May 31, 2019 12:37 pm

Here's a familiar tune.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0E_XODlZaI

'blue'

Chris1968
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:02 am

Re: Put Your Youtube.com Links Here! (if you want)

Postby Chris1968 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:55 pm

Found a very interesting piece on YouTube: "Steve Allen´s Music Room". I found out that this show had 6 episodes and ran on the Disney Channel from 1984 - 1986. On show #3 the guests were Burt, his then wife Carole Bayer Sager and Anthony Newley. With a Big Band under the dircetion of Terry Gibbs. It seems to me that they all had very much fun on this show. Enjoy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEMQRIS ... e=youtu.be

pljms
Posts: 618
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 8:43 am
Location: London

Re: Put Your Youtube.com Links Here! (if you want)

Postby pljms » Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:26 am

Chris1968 wrote:Found a very interesting piece on YouTube: "Steve Allen´s Music Room". I found out that this show had 6 episodes and ran on the Disney Channel from 1984 - 1986. On show #3 the guests were Burt, his then wife Carole Bayer Sager and Anthony Newley. With a Big Band under the dircetion of Terry Gibbs. It seems to me that they all had very much fun on this show. Enjoy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEMQRIS ... e=youtu.be


Thanks Chris for posting the video of that fascinating show. So many highlights - Bacharach and Newley performing together on Make It Easy On Yourself and A House Is Not A Home, Burt and Carole duetting on Arthur's Theme and Steve Allen's spoof of Bacharach's composing style. Sadly Steve Allen was virtually unknown in the UK during his lifetime and it wasn't until I saw old editions of What's My Line from the 50s on YouTube did I become acquainted with his undoubted wit and charm. As that Bacharach spoof shows, he was a gifted musician and composer and apparently had hundreds of songs published, this being the most famous.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pX9zg5UAxn0
Paul

Sara D
Posts: 295
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:32 am

Re: Put Your Youtube.com Links Here! (if you want)

Postby Sara D » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:13 am

I don't associate Harry Connick Jr. with Bacharach's songbook but I've just discovered this on YouTube. I'd forgotten how indebted to Frank Sinatra Connick's singing style is so I suppose it's inevitable that he'd cover one of the only two Bacharach songs recorded by Frank.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Sprpzd1BCHw


Return to “The Burt Bacharach Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests