Put Your Youtube.com Links Here! (if you want)

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Chris1968
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:02 am

"Knowing When To Leave" by the Carpenters

Postby Chris1968 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:09 pm

Here´s a clip from 1971 with a great version of "Knowing When To Leave" by the Carpenters. Enjoy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42S_E56Dgjk

Chris1968
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:02 am

Re: Put Your Youtube.com Links Here! (if you want)

Postby Chris1968 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:12 pm

Chris1968 wrote:Here´s a clip from 1971 with a great version of "Knowing When To Leave" by the Carpenters. Enjoy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42S_E56Dgjk
Ah, that´s a medley. Sorry. But it´s nice, too.

pljms
Posts: 544
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 8:43 am

Re: Put Your Youtube.com Links Here! (if you want)

Postby pljms » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:12 pm

Thanks Chris. I've always imagined that playing drums while singing would be difficult, but a lot less so if you're lip-syncing instead.

Knowing When to Leave has earned the reputation for being Bacharach's most recorded non-hit song, why even string quartets have cut it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hLACA5hHFuQ
Paul

Martin Johnson
Posts: 387
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:41 am

Re: Put Your Youtube.com Links Here! (if you want)

Postby Martin Johnson » Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:55 pm

It's easy to forget, for me at least, that the Beatles once had a UK Top 10 hit with a Bacharach song, not in the 60s but in the 90s. I was reminded of this while watching a TV quiz show the other evening and a question came up regarding their lesser known hits, if anything by the Beatles can be so described. The single of 'Baby It's You' was taken from the 'Live At The BBC' compilation released in '94 and differs from the version found on the 'Please Please Me' album in a few respects, not least that it has a proper ending rather than a fade. Perhaps not surprisingly, the two other Beatles hits that lived up to the billing of 'lesser known' on this quiz were also released in the 90s, 'Free As A Bird' and 'Real Love'. That Bacharach is proud of this association with the Fab Four was made clear at a London concert a few years ago when he stated, "How many songwriters can claim to have had one of their songs become a hit record for the Beatles?", or words to that effect:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ALCgfVoLHm0

pljms
Posts: 544
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 8:43 am

Re: Put Your Youtube.com Links Here! (if you want)

Postby pljms » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:13 am

Martin Johnson wrote:It's easy to forget, for me at least, that the Beatles once had a UK Top 10 hit with a Bacharach song, not in the 60s but in the 90s. I was reminded of this while watching a TV quiz show the other evening and a question came up regarding their lesser known hits, if anything by the Beatles can be so described. The single of 'Baby It's You' was taken from the 'Live At The BBC' compilation released in '94 and differs from the version found on the 'Please Please Me' album in a few respects, not least that it has a proper ending rather than a fade. Perhaps not surprisingly, the two other Beatles hits that lived up to the billing of 'lesser known' on this quiz were also released in the 90s, 'Free As A Bird' and 'Real Love'. That Bacharach is proud of this association with the Fab Four was made clear at a London concert a few years ago when he stated, "How many songwriters can claim to have had one of their songs become a hit record for the Beatles?", or words to that effect:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ALCgfVoLHm0


Recorded months before 'Beatlemania' really took hold in the UK, there's an earnestness in the Beatles' performance that would have been missing from their radio sessions of the following year. Outside of the Shirelles and the Beatles my favourite version is by Elvis Costello and Nick Lowe from the early 80s.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=asOa8yqhjqc
Paul

Blair N. Cummings
Posts: 949
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2004 4:14 pm

Re: Put Your Youtube.com Links Here! (if you want)

Postby Blair N. Cummings » Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:26 pm

I don`t share the general reverence for Karen Carpenter`s voice, but her brother`s re-arrangement of this song actually worked:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9o4sw4YaK8

ron hertel
Posts: 459
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2004 7:08 pm

Re: Put Your Youtube.com Links Here! (if you want)

Postby ron hertel » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:06 pm

... Good call Blair! ... I would have never known this existed if you had not posted this link!

Ron

Martin Johnson
Posts: 387
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:41 am

Re: Put Your Youtube.com Links Here! (if you want)

Postby Martin Johnson » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:28 am

Bacharach always gets a big laugh when talking about Love's recording of 'My Little Red Book' during his concerts and the fact that he hated the way they changed the melody, hated the way they altered the chords but loved the fact that it was a hit. Although Smith took fewer liberties with 'Baby It's You', I can't imagine Bacharach being too enamoured with their hard-edged, bluesy recording until he watched it soar into the US Top 5. Some might conclude that doing away with all those "Sha-la-la-la-las" and "Cheats" was no bad thing:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pIGo31k-qkw

turnupthemusic
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:29 pm

Re: Put Your Youtube.com Links Here! (if you want)

Postby turnupthemusic » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:15 pm

Dionne has been performing a few songs she hasn't done for quite some time and she's sounding great at nearly 79. Here are a few clips for anyone interested:

Always Something There To Remind Me: https://www.facebook.com/didi.herrenber ... 328/?t=325
Don't Make Me Over, Walk on By, Anyone Who Had a Heart, Reach Out For Me: https://www.facebook.com/turistavaclav/ ... 4655195391
One Less Bell To Answer, Trains and Boats and Planes, Close To You: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QaGHkUklb4
Arthur's Theme: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bn7Htvyl1TZ

And some surprising vocal strength on TWFAF (https://youtu.be/C6uRFs-a9CQ?t=150) and ILNTWA (https://www.instagram.com/p/Bn4m4rMFipJ)

grooverider
Posts: 346
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:13 pm

Re: Put Your Youtube.com Links Here! (if you want)

Postby grooverider » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:06 pm

The cd, "Power of Peace", from The Isley Brothers and Santana includes this classic, "What The World Needs Now Is Love":

https://youtu.be/oIrWhLlQoKc

Martin Johnson
Posts: 387
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:41 am

Re: Put Your Youtube.com Links Here! (if you want)

Postby Martin Johnson » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:40 pm

A great Bacharach & David song which was a minor hit for Jackie Deshannon and which sounds like it may have been written with Gene Pitney in mind, especially the way she harmonisers with herself in the verses:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lEMOi7YGA2M

pljms
Posts: 544
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 8:43 am

Re: Put Your Youtube.com Links Here! (if you want)

Postby pljms » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:02 am

Martin Johnson wrote:A great Bacharach & David song which was a minor hit for Jackie Deshannon and which sounds like it may have been written with Gene Pitney in mind, especially the way she harmonisers with herself in the verses:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lEMOi7YGA2M


'A Lifetime Of Loneliness' would come pretty near the top of my very long list of lesser known or downright obscure Bacharach songs that deserve to be better known. The "to carry on" at the end of each chorus is pure Bacharach & David. Never before seen that TV footage of Jackie Deshannon performing the song and smiling at the absurdity of lip-syncing. Lovely looking woman.
Paul


Return to “The Burt Bacharach Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests