Put Your Youtube.com Links Here! (if you want)

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

steveo_1965

Re: Put Your Youtube.com Links Here! (if you want)

Post by steveo_1965 »

Dear Blue and Ron ...ty....In part 3 I talk about Burt a bit as a major influence....THis should be available one of these days when my brother puts it on "youtube"...
Rio

Post by Rio »

I look forward for part 3, Steveo.
Thanks!
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

Steveo,
Have you by any chance been a music teacher........you should be !

"blue"
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

Ty Rio and Blue...
yeah, I do some music teaching....piano.... : )
My brother tells me he will get to parts 3 etc. in the next week or so...In the meantime, thanks for listening to me talk about some songs I really like!
An Enormous BB Fan

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

steveo_1965, I just watched parts 1 and 2. I enjoyed them thoroughly. I, too, loved Neil Sedaka's songs and chord changes -- and none more than what he did with "Laughter In The Rain".

I wish you do an analysis of a Burt song -- something like "In Between the Heartaches" or "Long Ago, Tomorrow".

I'm looking forward to Part 3. Please inform us when it's ready.

You asked if anyone could find out if the Beatles' "If I Fell" came out in 1964. Well, indeed it was!

Here is some information about that great song: (from Wikipedia)

"If I Fell" is a song by The Beatles which first appeared in 1964 on the album A Hard Day's Night in the United Kingdom and on the North American album Something New. It was written by John Lennon, but credited to Lennon–McCartney.

The song is notable for its unusual structure, which includes an unrepeated introductory section sung by Lennon, followed by sequential verse sections, each having a slightly expanded form, but with no obvious chorus or bridge section. The demo version (just John on acoustic guitar) from early 1964, does include the introduction, as well as an alternate ending. The remainder of the song features a two-part harmony, sung by Lennon and McCartney together into a single microphone at their suggestion, with Lennon singing the lower harmony while McCartney sings the higher one. It also features intricate chord changes. The key changes from D flat major to D major between the introduction (a series of descending barre chords) and the main song, which uses mainly open chords, including an unusual D ninth.

Recording and performance

On the stereo mix of the song, McCartney's voice strains and cracks on the second instance of the word "vain". On the mono mix, McCartney's voice does not crack. Also, Lennon's opening vocal is single-tracked in mono but double-tracked in the stereo mix.

Lennon and McCartney shared a single microphone for their Everly Brothers-like close harmonies.

"If I Fell" was a part of the Beatles repertoire during the Beatles' US and Canadian tour in 1964. The group typically performed the song faster than the studio version, and Lennon and McCartney often sang it with barely suppressed laughter. On more than one occasion it was introduced as "If I Fell Over".

Single releases

US: It was also the B-side of the US single "And I Love Her" on Capitol 5235.
Norway: The song was released as a single in Norway, where it hit number one.[5]

UK: In the UK it was released on 4 December 1964 as A-side (b/w "Tell Me Why") on Parlophone DP 562. The single was intended for export, but some retailers sold it in the UK anyway. It did not chart there and is generally not considered an "official" UK single.[citation needed]

Personnel
John Lennon – lead vocal, acoustic rhythm guitar
Paul McCartney – lead vocal, bass
George Harrison – twelve-string lead guitar
Ringo Starr – drums
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

Enormous,
Thanks for the information on the Beatles...and If I Fell....I wrote an addendum on the youtube website saying that it started lower, not higher, and transposed up a 1/2 tone...
All 7 parts of my interview re available now on my Youtube channel "imperialfreek"
but part 5 is where I talk about Burt...
here is the link:

Best to you and thanks for your research...

Steveo
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

Enormous,
a few more thoughts...Long Ago Tomorrow is a special one for me, as i watched Burt record it at Western Studios in Hollywood, way back in the day...
MY associate Tim Gudz and I looked at the strcture of the song one day, many years ago...and his his big comment was how Burt really liked the "sus" chords(sustain chords,
and their resolution..never is it clear more than n this song how Burt oscillates between F7 sus (or an Eb with an F bass and an F 9th. The main session featured a collaboration between arrangers pat Williams and Burt...with Burt custom tailoring and making changes to
the score....and then later there was the mixdown session done in the great little studio 3
at western....HAl David made some appearances at some of these sessions...(as he usually did)
Truly an obscure gem!
Roberto Pinardi

Post by Roberto Pinardi »

Great !

JR

Post by JR »

Tom Jones ... One of the greatest voices of our time.
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

Pretty amazing man, alright! : )
GehVorbei

Post by GehVorbei »

Very very rare TV performance of Chuck Jackson & Dionne duetting in 1998. Great chemistry...

ron hertel

Post by ron hertel »

A stunning performance! ........ This song (a studio recording of it) was released as a single back in 1998 with rave reviews and went "nowhere". .... It's included on Chuck Jackson's 1998 CD entitled "I'll Never Get Over You" ..... 2 vocal versions of the song and 2 instrumental versions are included....... Chuck delivers a number of great vocal performances on this CD including a cover of: ... "Walk Away From Love" which was originally recorded by David Ruffin back in 1975 ....... A Motown classic!.

To the best of my knowledge it was never included on any of Dionne's numerous compilations.
gillanddon

Post by gillanddon »

Hey Ron! Thanks for that. Why weren't this song released .. have you any idea? So manny of Dionne's brilliant recordings never got into the limelight ... even the post Burt/Hal.
An Enormous BB Fan

Great Hal David interview

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

What a genius and great person Hal David was! It comes right through in this interview:

Jerry

Post by Jerry »

Not to mention his undeniable humility. He could be such a beautiful role model for the one-hit 'artists' who now populate the musical landscape.

Though I doubt they'd listen...