New Dionne reissues from CCM

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

nymusicalsguy

New Dionne reissues from CCM

Post by nymusicalsguy »

For those of you who might not have picked up the British two-fers some years ago, Collectors Choice is on 1/2 releasing a number of original Dionne albums to CD, and they're boasting fresh remastering, too. This batch includes the never-on-CD LIVE IN PARIS, ON STAGE AND IN THE MOVIES and THE MAGIC OF BELIEVING. These aren't the deluxe reissues a la David Nathan's remarkable Rhino Handmade series of a few years back (no bonus tracks -- will we ever hear the rest of the unreleased gems promised in the Handmade liner notes?) but they still look to have Collectors' Choice's usual hallmark of quality, new liner notes & remastering. Check 'em out and perhaps the sales will convince CCM to dig deeper into Miss W's vaults!

Happy New Year, Burt fans!
Bruce Bernard Williams

Collector's Choice

Post by Bruce Bernard Williams »

Thank you for the info on the releases from CCM. The three albums you mentioned are the ones that are my favorites and thought I'd never see them on CD. Question is, how do I get them? Also, are the Handmade CD's you referred to still available through David Nathan/Rhino? I have yet to purchase any of them because I read on this forum some months ago that they were all mono and I prefer stereo although I'm a bit confused about the "bonus" tracks--I thought they were already on those Handmade releases. I'd appreciate any additional information regarding these new releases.
nymusicalsguy

Post by nymusicalsguy »

Hi, perhaps I should have made myself a little clearer in my original post -- the CCM reissues are of the Scepter albums NOT in the Rhino Handmade series (VERY DIONNE; PROMISES, PROMISES two-fered with I'LL NEVER FALL IN LOVE AGAIN; THE WINDOWS OF THE WORLD two-fered with VALLEY OF THE DOLLS; SOULFUL). I believe all of the Rhinos (which are highly recommended for their copious liner notes and truly phenomenal selection of unreleased bonus tracks) are still available at http://www.rhinohandmade.com, and the new CCM discs are available at http://www.ccmusic.com with all the info you may need. Hope this helps! :-) And who knows, while it's doubtful, strong sales might change Rhino's mind about letting Mr. Nathan finish his definitive Dionne reissue campaign which was to include a double-disc live set of Ms. Warwick in concert, and 1970s reissues which presumably would include the 3-track session from 1974 with Dionne & Burt never released anywhere.
Last edited by nymusicalsguy on Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ron hertel

Post by ron hertel »

Hey nymusicalsguy:
Appreciate the update re: availability of the 3 Scepter and 1 Warner Brothers albums which were previously for the most part unavailable (Love At First Sight was at one time available - Japanese Import) The 4 Rhino Handmade reissues along with the bonus tracks you referred to are absolute "must haves" (beautifully remastered with great liner notes, art work and photos). I find it difficult to believe that - if Rhino limited each of the 4 to just 5,000 numbered copies - that all 4 are still available. They were released over 2 years ago and have been sold in retail outlets as well as online thru Rhino and others. Dionne's Greatest Hits reissues obviously sell well (seems there is a new "Very Best Of" release at least once a month). In light of this - it may be some time before we see remastered releases of the following Warwick albums: "The Dionne Warwicke Story - A Decade Of Gold", "From Within", "Only Love Can Break A Heart", A Man & A Woman (w/ Isaac Hayes), "No Night So Long",
"Hot, Live & Otherwise", "How Many Times Can We Say Goodbye?" and "Finder Of Lost Loves" It's true that many of the tracks from these albums have been included in the numerous compilations released over the past 10 years. I would highly recommend the "LEGENDS - DIONNE WARWICK" 3 CD set (52 songs from Dionne's Arista releases) generally available on line for about $20). Thanks again nymusicals guy!
nymusicalsguy

Post by nymusicalsguy »

Ron, I was surprised too to find the 4 Rhino Handmades still available via their website. Perhaps that explains why the Rhino brass wouldn't greenlight further reissues, though I had read that Ms. Warwick wasn't in favor of the series continuing (mainly because she didn't want the albums "competing" with current product - no comment). Don't know if it's true -- I hope it's not, because I know the lady has great pride in her marvelous body of work! Of the top of my head, I know that the Handmades included stray tracks from FROM WITHIN and ONLY LOVE CAN BREAK A HEART; if only there were a comprehensive site online indicating which of Dionne's album tracks haven't ever seen CD release on a compilation or anywhere else. (And yes, A MAN & A WOMAN and HOT LIVE AND OTHERWISE are *so* in need of CD reissue, though I believe the latter was briefly available and now goes for exorbitant prices online!) I personally would like to see Dionne participate with Warners in curating a disc of rarities, and perhaps the producers could throw in some alternate versions/demos of the hits to entice the casual buyer that compilations are so often aimed at. (You know, the buyer who wants the disc just for "I Say A Little Prayer" or "Alfie"...) That's my two cents' worth... :-) Thanks, Ron, for all your terrific insights!!
ron hertel

Post by ron hertel »

nymusicalsguy: Your "two cents" are worth at least a dollar in my book. Reading "between the lines" - I sense that our insights and respect for this incomparable artist run along the same lines. Your "no comment" re: current product really hit home with me! Out of respect for her "marvelous body of work" I refrained from posting my observations on her latest effort. I became one of Dionne's greatest admirers back in 1964 and know she can still deliver. Attended the Kodak Theater Tribute celebrating her 45 years in the business last January and her two hour set which included a lot of duets was nothing short of a "virtuoso performance" that will hopefully someday be released as a CD or DVD. That was the David Gest extravaganza!
Note: Both "Hot, Live & Otherwise" and "Finder Of Lost Loves" were on import CD's. I lost them both 6 years ago along with my entire CD collection when my office was burglarized.
Make that "two dollars"!
EricMontreal22

Post by EricMontreal22 »

I actually never got the Rhino Handmades either--was flat broke but I guess I should just take a gulp and take the plunge. I hope they are still available (last I checked I think they were)

Those British two fers of the first 6 studio albums on Vanguard were pretty rare (I saw one selling used on amaozn for 150 bucks)--I got the first release and the third when I was in London in 1999 and those were all I could find so missed the other volume. Question--I don';t have that much money to spend right now--is it worth replacing the ones I have with the new releases--ie is the sound quality significantly better?

I always wondered why these early albums weren't reissues as part of rhiuno handmade--did they figure they were already on CD? Or are the rights owned by different people?
ron hertel

Post by ron hertel »

EricMontreal22:
The best price I found for the 4 Rhino Handmade reissues is offered at rhinohandmade.com. $19.95 each and if you buy all 4 of them your "standard shipping" is free.
EricMontreal22

Post by EricMontreal22 »

I just got, inspired by this thread, all 4 Rhino Handmade releases direct from Rhino--peopel were wonderign how well they sold--the numbers on my copy are:

Promises Promises 3219/5000
Very dionne 1796/5000
soulful 2308/5000
Windows 2016/5000
ron hertel

Post by ron hertel »

VERY INTERESTING!

I ordered mine when originally released (about 2 years ago)

Promises Promises 334/5000
Very dionne 980/5000
soulful 20/5000
Windows 4084/5000

Ordered a second set (1 year ago)

Promises Promises 234/5000
Very dionne 2710/5000
soulful 127/5000
Windows 2453/5000**

** for some unknown reason my second copy of Windows was back ordered and it was shipped 3 months after it was ordered. All were purchased through RHINO directly.

Numbering is obviously no indication of sales volumes!
EricMontreal22

Post by EricMontreal22 »

Wow, odd indeed. I can only assume they printed all 5000 copies initially then and just have htem layign around int heir warehouse in no real order? hrmmm

I did find one mistake on one of them in the linear notes (Promises Promises) but I believe it was a mistake on the original printing. Where Is Love is not a Cy Coleman/Dorothy Fields song but is by Lionel Bart from his musical Oliver

(I likewise found an odd thing in the notes for the recent Dionne (1972) reissue where the notes can't seem to decide whether If You Never Say Goodbye is a Bacharach David song or not)