Burt's Other Christmas Song

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

KeithBurke

Burt's Other Christmas Song

Post by KeithBurke »

Johnny Mathis' Christmas Day:
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?a ... 9A7A21631F
"learn to give, try to live each day like Christmas day".
Keith
blueonblue

BURTS OTHER CHRISTMAS SONG

Post by blueonblue »

Hi Keith,
I've never heard this one before...."WOW" what a beautiful song !!!

Thanks for sharing !!!
"Blue"
Steve Schenck

this christmas song

Post by Steve Schenck »

This is indeed a gem! It's from "Promises, Promises," and was an oddity at its time inasmuchas no one on stage sang it. It was song by a chorus off-stage, serving as a kind of background music to what was happening on-stage. That was the heroine trying to commit suicide (or just having tried to do so). If I remember correctly, it was sung in a few pieces, not continuously, filling in the spaces where there was no dialog going on. It's not often performed; it's difficult to sing, for all singers among us; but when it is sung well, it's a triumph.
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

Hiya Steve,
Thanks for the info, thats what I like about the "Forum"....you learn
something new about Burt every day !!!
"Pomises, Promises" what a fabulous score, also love the other
Christmas song "Turkey Lurkey Time" :D
But where has this song been all these years ? Should have been
a huge hit !!!..............."Hidden Gem" indeed !!!

"Blue"
Steve Schenck

another hearing of another burt christmas tune

Post by Steve Schenck »

Recently, one night when I couldn't sleep, on one of the many "Showtime" channels, I saw a flick called "Camp." It's about an apparently real summer camp for kids interested in Broadway musicals. It depicts their interests, love interests, teen struggles, and all that, as well as their work to produce a series of Broadway musicals during their summer stay. One of the musicals they did was "Promises, Promises." They only showed one number being staged - "Turkey Lurkey Time." They did a great job. I'm sure the kids weren't the real voices. They danced and pretended to be singing; but for the purposes of the film, I suspect they used other, professional, and amplified voices. But it made for a great rendition of the song. Steve
KeithBurke

Turkey Lurkey Time

Post by KeithBurke »

Here's a youtube.com link to the Turkey Lurkey segment from "Camp":
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

Hi Keith,
Great stuff !!! :lol: :lol: lol

Thanks For Sharing !!!

"Blue"
igtmfo33

Post by igtmfo33 »

Let me tout again another holiday song of Burt and Hal's, "Winter Warm," recorded by Gale Storm.

To hear, go to npr.org and then to the "Fresh Air" show. Click on 'past shows' and go to the Dec. 19, 2005 show. Singer Rebecca Kilgore and friends sing some obscure holiday songs, Burt's appears about 25 minutes into that segment.

Holiday time is when melody, a stranger the rest of the year, dares rears its head and sends the 2-cent tunesmiths on the charts these days into hiding for a few weeks. Hooray!
KeithBurke

Post by KeithBurke »

Or you can click on the following link to hear a painfully scratchy version of Gale Storm's 1957 Winter Warm:
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?a ... F11953C7D1
(sorry guys... haven't had a chance to get this one cleaned up yet)
KeithBurke

Post by KeithBurke »

Here's one for the Italian fans. Christmas Day from the 2002 Italian Cast of Promises Promises. Beautiful song in any language.
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?a ... FA415A1EB1
EricMontreal22

Post by EricMontreal22 »

Camp is pretty poorly acted but a fun film especially for those like me who went to theatre camp haha. And Sondheim one of my heroes has a cameo even if he looks embarassed (though the girl does a great job of his song Ladies who Lunch) BTW that is their real voices on the soundtrack not lip synching--they're all actors who had done many theatre camps.

Who did the lyrics for Winter Warm? And what year is Johnny's version?

Also there's an Italian cast album ofPromises Promises?? I need to hear--I have the original and the UK with Betty Buckley--man I wish he had done another Broadway musical

E
KeithBurke

Post by KeithBurke »

Eric-
Winter Warm lyrics were done by Hal David (written in 1957). Johnny Mathis recorded Christmas Day in 1969. There are 2 Italian versions of Promises Promises. The first was recorded in 1970 and the second in 2002. The Christmas Day posted is from the 2002 version. E-mail me and I will pass them on.

Keith