here is an unusual quote involving BB

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

duke110@ihug.co.nz

here is an unusual quote involving BB

Post by duke110@ihug.co.nz »

As the sun pitches high and sharp, more folk wander into the market. You can tell they’re making an effort not to seem drained and bleak. Drained and bleak is what town’s about these days, despite the joy cakes. They ain’t setting the world on fire with sales, I have to say. Everybody keeps a safe distance from the joy cakes. Or from me, I guess. Mr Lechuga even turns his desk away from me, over by the prize tent, where he’s selling lottery tickets. After a while Lally and my ole lady arrive. You can’t actually see them yet, but you can hear Mom’s Burt Bacharach disc playing somewhere. It cuts through the gloom like a pencil through your lung. Nobody else would have that disc, I fucken guarantee it with all these jingle singers soing, ‘Something big is what I’m livin for.â€￾ All tappetty-shucksy, bubbly silk pie, just the way she likes. A typical stroke-job of musical lies, like everybody grew up with back then, back when all the tunes had a trumpet in them, that sounded like it was played through somebody’s ass.

DBC Pierre, Vernon God Little: A 21st Century Comedy in the Presence of Death, Faber and Faber, London 2003, pp. 89-90 (also page 123)