favorite moments in burts arrangements or songs

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

One of my favorite moments in Burt's arranging is the oboe solo
at the end of Dionne Warwick's record of Knowing When To Leave...
Burt's 1969 instrumental version is equally thrilling in the same spot.

Another favorite moment is in "Come Touch The Sun" at the end when the orchestra strikes the D 11th chord resolving to the D chord with the trumput solo over it.
(and always BE MY LOVE...those three notes..
fantastic!
Thank you Burt! You made Harry James and JAck Mathias proud!

Steveo
gabba

april fools

Post by gabba »

even "april fools" in the sweater album..at the end you hear a female chorus and Burt just playing few notes at the piano..so melancholy but always essential ..he never invades the piece..
KeithBurke

Favorite Moment

Post by KeithBurke »

My vote goes to the 3 note viola segment used in South America Getaway at the 2:31-2:34 point and then again at the 4:20-4:23 point. Quintessential Bacharach.
gabba

don't forget

Post by gabba »

don't forget the ending of "whoever you are" on Burt's version..that Dionne look alike voice..really we guys have a long list to describe this genius craft..
Love to everyone..
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

Keith and Gabba,
I would also like to mention the jangling piano fills , like the dissonant
clusters on the "Walk On By" piano solo...and in another song, the little piano fill after Dionne sings the phrase "I Say a Little Prayer For You"...
implying a flatted 9th for a second on the B 7th chord..brilliant!
Fool Killer

Post by Fool Killer »

I would add the fadeout of Dionne's "I'll Never Fall in Love Again".... I think that's Burt playing those sublime piano notes, as sighing & gorgeous commentary on the whole song...
Paolo

Post by Paolo »

And the end of "wehre are you"?
It's sounds like a classical contemporary music!
Steve Schenck

favorite moments in Burt's arrangements

Post by Steve Schenck »

Right off the top, I have to say the opening measures of "Looking with My Eyes." What an unusual and unprecedented way to begin a song! I had been a Burt fan for decades before I first heard that piece in the mid-90s. Immediately I knew it was Burt's but was still wowed by it. Also, the closing measures of "Magdalena," from the "Woman" album. What he does with those skittering oboes and violins, teasing and answering one another, is still unbelieveable!
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

Fool Killer,
You are Right! That is indeed Burt playing piano at the end of Dionne's "I'll Never Fall in Love Again". I love that ending too! Great strings and little piano fills...with those intervals..that can only be Burt!
Last edited by steveo_1965 on Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

Hi everyone,
this is my first post,so please bear with me,
One of my favourite moments has to be at the end of
the instrumental version of "Knowing when to leave"
only Burt could have thought of that.....wonderful !!!!!!!!!!!!
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

Hi again Steveo,
Has anyone ever noticed about 1:42 secs into the instrumental
version of "CloseTo You" what sounds like Burt screaming
..........."MORE" !!!!
or has "old dog ears" here, got it wrong as usual ???
scotsgreg

Anyone Who Had A Heart Arrangement

Post by scotsgreg »

Dionne Warwick's Anyone Who Had A Heart: The stark piano introduction, the punctuating second verse tremelo guitar stingers after each vocal phrase, the dark saxophone instrumental break, the bizarre, unexpected time signature changes, climactic, gospel-styled crescendoes and open, almost angry, musical despair were revolutionary touches in commercial music at the time and the success of the song (#8 Pop, #2 Adult Contemporary) opened up doors for more imaginative arrangement in pop. It was such a dramatic contrast to anything else happening in radio at the time and was particularly potent in the lingering aftermath of John F. Kennedy's assassination in December of 1963.
gabba

she's gone away

Post by gabba »

i'd like to listen with you guys the track "she's gone away"..has one of the very most expressive begin i've ever heard in Burt's arrangements..the trumpet and the celesta are so impressive..when i think of a special atmosphere i have this in mind..DOES anyone can air for us here in the forum this emotional piece of music?maybe you KEITH BURKE???
(i'd like to do it myself but i'm not very familiar with this stuff,sorry!)
love to you all..GABBA

p.s.:the amazing drummer in the track is Gary Chester!italian like me :lol:
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

Blue on Blue,
It's quite possible that you heard Burt shouting "more" on that recording. This is something he did a lot in the 60's and 70's...
If you are listening to a cd version, It's possible the remix might have
included that....
(I don't know -I only have the vinyl version.)
Regarding Anyone Who Had A heart And Don't Make Me Over..I find that Burt may have taken his inspiration from a couple of Paul McCartney
tunes written and recorded by Cilla Black..one of Paul's tunes has a strange minor effect, with similar mood and orchestration, and is in 6/8
(It's for you? I think might be the title) it's on U Tube. Burt has stated that his inspiration at that time was The Beatles, Gershwin and Ravel.