Barbra & Burt perform "Be Aware"

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Bill Minnick

Post by Bill Minnick »

I recently discovered this clip on YouTube. It may take awhile to load; it was a real slow-go for me.

This performance of the haunting "Be Aware" includes a much different ending than the one most of us are familiar with. It's quite good (as is the entire performance) but rather avant-garde. I still prefer the relative simplicity of the ending on Dionne's recording of the song. It's interesting to hear, however, the discordantly orchestrated ending used in this particular performance. I wonder if it's Burt arrangement or someone else's.

vincent.cole

Reply: KeithBurke

Post by vincent.cole »

KeithBurke;

Thank you so much for the song, "Be Aware!"

I listen to all 3 singers version. But no one sings Burt & Hal songs like, Dionne Warwick!!!

Truly awesome!!!
Take care;

Vincent
mario serra

Be Awere

Post by mario serra »

Dear Vincent,
My opinion is that be awere is Burt & Hal's best song.Both musically and regarding it's lihrics. I beleave it to be an antecipation of AT THIS TIME .
Sorry,but I surely prefer,by far, Barbra's version,to anyone else's.
To bad she and the Maestro,never recorded this gorgeous song.
I wonder why. Can someone explain?
Thank you all.Till my next post All the best.
Mario Serra
KeithBurke

Barbra And Burt

Post by KeithBurke »

Mario-

It is my understanding Barbra did record Be Aware (not produced by BB) and it is sitting in a vault somewhere along with the other 300+ songs Babs recorded and never released. Hopefully someday these will all see the light of day.

Best regards,
Keith
Blair N. Cummings

Agreed

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

I agree, Mario. It`s almost a fool`s game - choosing a "best" or "favorite" from a catalogue like Burt and Hal`s, but at gunpoint I`d go with Be Aware, too.
As for the three versions here, I`ll take Dionne`s just for the improved arrangement and instrumentation. I was a huge fan of Laura Nyro`s work from `66 through `71, but her cover of this song demonstrates the pointlessness of improvising with a Bacharach melody: screw with it and it`s gone (which is why with a few minor exceptions most jazz musicians stayed away from his compositions).
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

Hi Bill,
Please forgive me,I know you posted this in July but I've only
just discovered it.
The song and performance (love Burt conducting from the piano)
are utterly fantastic !!!
The instrumental ending (coda) is "Spine Chilling"....what a great
pity it was never released commercially.

"Blue"
mario serra

Be Awere 2

Post by mario serra »

I do agree with vou - that Be awere is one of one of Burt and Hal's finest songs,under many aspects. What I consider quite unbelilievable is Burt's candid statements that while working he was interested only in the musical ad orchestational side of the job. Not paing to much attention to the content of Hal's liriks: It's rather absurd. Is'nt it? anyway I repeat that My favourite version is Bab's with the maestro and the orchestra in that fantastic TV Special that is bout 30 years old.

Take Care 8)

M S

ht

nder many

'
Thank you all.Till my next post All the best.
Mario Serra