So sad - No concert Trani! I cried went to Italy in vain

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Burtelich

So sad - No concert Trani! I cried went to Italy in vain

Post by Burtelich »

My sister Anne and I Elisabeth - got tickets for the concert at Trani. Got the best seats on flights from Copenhagen via Milan to Bari and train to Trani.

Arrived Sunday, stayed at the Scandic Hilton, no expenses spared. This was the time, a possible revisit with Burt, met with him last in London '69.

Got hold of a local newspaper to see the review from Florì and the bomb fell, and I cried. -- The concert had been cancelled.

Our trip was reduced to two days in the lovely sun in Italy instead of a possible fantastic reunion. How we had treasured our tickets for our first Burt concert, only seen him as a conducter when we were still school kids.

But it was not to be. My daughter said when she was trying to comfort me, that maybe my concert quote has been used ! I have seen so many fantastic concerts over the years, from the Beatles and on throught he years. Just missed Barbra and Elvis.

Dearest dearest Burt, please let me know if you ever come near Scandinavia. Maybe we have one more chance to meet up.

Best wishes to everybody who loves your music and Youself, Burt.

I've just experience the biggest disappointment of my life, but nobody can take away all the hours of enjoyment I have had for more than 40 years.

Elisabeth ( & Anne) Copenhagen
vincent.cole

Reply: Burtelich

Post by vincent.cole »

Burtelich;

I am truly sorry that the concert was canceled! Waiting over 37 years to see Burt again, no words can convey how you feel! My heart goes out to you Elisabeth and your family! :(
Take care;

Vincent
mark
Site Admin

Post by mark »

For those of us who don't speak Italian, was there a reason given for the cancelation of the concert in Trani?
dunsirn23

Post by dunsirn23 »

I'ts only a suspect: Bad marketing promotion of the event. The messy italian organization firm of the concert is famous in that way. I loose also a concert of Elvis Costello in Rome because they have sold only 300 tickets for a place housing 2000 seats.... All of this only for a bad promotion.
gabba

i'm agree with you

Post by gabba »

Burt arrived at the concert quite late..usually he's very precise and he seemed little tired when he began ..he looked demotivated.. ..anyway he played fantastic and after wards during his perf has been really warm to the audience....(...kind of odd thing...you know..)..don't know what else to add..ciao Mark
Davide Bonori

No concert in Trani

Post by Davide Bonori »

I went to Forli to see my third Bacharach concert in Italy (after the 2 times in 2004, Modena and Lucca).
About Forlì Gabba is right, Bacharach seemed a little bit out of the game in the very first part of the show. But the place was hot and Bacharach soon answered to the warm of his pubblic. The concert was good.
And yes, maybe he was tired because of the trip from USA. But the concert in Trani should be 2 day after Forlì.
And yesterday evening the Maestro was in Italy (in Ischia) for a celebration.
In my opinion Stefano is right: the problem was not the Maestro but the concert organization. Really a bad thing for Italian fans. It could damage the possibility of other Italian live performance!

I suggest to Elisabeth and Anne to check Burt concert in Europe. Times passed since he performed in London ...