Burt In Long Island

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

warbachavid

Burt In Long Island

Post by warbachavid »

Planting Fields, an eclectic circle of Friend

BY PETER GOODMAN
STAFF WRITER

May 9, 2004

Friends of the Arts' first summer festival since founder Teddy Bookman retired will be a little more country and have a few more dates. "We are trying to broaden the walls of the summer festival," executive director Maryann Beaumont said.

The 20th festival, which opens June 26 with a gala featuring Burt Bacharach, for the first time will offer two midweek programs, as usual under a tent and on the lawns of Planting Fields Arboretum in Oyster Bay.

On tap is a cabaret night July 7, with Stacey Kent and Kurt Elling. The other midweek performance will feature blues-folk-country singer Lucinda Williams Aug. 11. "When you are only booking weekends in the New York market, it's a very competitive situation, what with getting the artists, paying the higher fees and the 'locks' put on them by other venues," Beaumont said. "The board wanted to try a midweek. . . to see what kind of pull we might have during a midweek slot."

Most of the season is devoted, as usual, to smooth jazz and jazz-based music, including the three-day Long Island Jazz festival that this summer features Jimmy Scott and Ahmad Jamal Aug. 6, Cassandra Wilson and the Joshua Redman Trio Aug. 7, and a Latin jazz night Aug. 8 with the Tito Puente Jr. Orchestra and a group of Latin ballroom dancers.

But the Foot and Fiddle Dance Company is on tap for July 3, with a concert and barn dance scheduled to end early enough so that the audience can leave in time for fireworks elsewhere. Shelby Lynne is on the bill with bluesman Keb' Mo' on July 10, and Wynonna is scheduled for Aug. 1.

With 16 programs scheduled in the state park between Memorial and Labor days, "we are pushing it to the limit that we are allowed," Beaumont said. The annual Beethoven Festival, which this year features the Camerata New York orchestra, is set for Sept. 12.

Ticket prices range from $25-$55 for the Bacharach gala to $25-$30 for the Foot and Fiddle Company. They go on sale June 2. For information, call 516-922-0061, or go to www.FOTApresents.org.
warbachavid

Post by warbachavid »

JULY

Burt Bacharach, Beth Baker - 7:30 p.m. July 1, Britt Festivals, Jacksonville, $28 to $52.
crazy for burt

lucky vincent

Post by crazy for burt »

well, well, well..... burt in the hood....could you be more lucky? i am so excited for you...what a great stalking opportunity...lol...hope you are on the front row!!
warbachavid

Post by warbachavid »

I went there in 1993 to see Dionne Warwick, I must say Oster Bay is a very racist place :x
vincent.cole

Post by vincent.cole »

:D 'Crazy For Burt';

Yes I will at be in the hood!!! As soon as Mark posted the new schedule, I was all over it. I have about 3 to 4 people who are going with me, who never been to a Burt Concert! They are in for a special treat!

Thanks for thinking of me. I don't think I will get Burt's DNA though :)

Take care mon ami.

Vincent