For The First Time-Samples

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

KeithBurke

For The First Time-Samples

Post by KeithBurke »

Sorry.
Last edited by KeithBurke on Fri May 19, 2006 1:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Alistair

Post by Alistair »

Keith - you certainly know how to "share the joy"!
Many thanks for all the recent rarities you've been posting for us Bacharach fans.
(Would love to hear the rest of the Stephanie Mills sides - hint!)

Alistair
KeithBurke

The Rest

Post by KeithBurke »

Sorry.
Last edited by KeithBurke on Fri May 19, 2006 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alistair

Post by Alistair »

Wonderful - so grateful! Thanks again Keith.
Alistair

One slight niggle though - the link for track 10 (Please Let Go) links to track 9 (All the Way To Paradise) unfortunately!
GehVorbei

Post by GehVorbei »

Thank you very, very much Keith! I lost my vinyl copy of this 15 years ago and probably haven´t heard these tracks for 20. Actually, what I most vividly remember ist the cover and how incredibly young she looked.

Beyond that listening to it today I think the record is a total mess. As a curiosity it is fun but even if you didn´t know what was going on with Burt and Hal at the time you would notice that almost everthing abut this doesn´t work.
KeithBurke

Please Let Go

Post by KeithBurke »

Sorry.
Last edited by KeithBurke on Fri May 19, 2006 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
KeithBurke

Review/Cover

Post by KeithBurke »

Review of For The First Time

***For The First Time (1975)
Produced and written by Burt Bacharach and Hal David - I believe this was their last album-length collaboration to date. Overall it sounds very much like their 60s work with Dionne Warwick - a remake of of "Loneliness Remembers (What Happiness Forgets)" duplicates the original almost exactly - which is probably a good thing. When they try to bring things up to date, they results are an embarrassing disco version of "This Empty Place" (the only other remake on the album), and a curious pop/blues blend, "I Took My Strength From You." The compositions are mostly adventurous and imaginative: Bacharach's delicate melody is a perfect match for David's meditation on modern life "Living On Plastic"; "No One Remembers My Name" and "The Way I Feel About You" have the "effortless classic" quality that's paradigmatic Bacharach; the fade of "Please Let Go" is absolutely breathtaking. The nature of the material makes comparisons to Warwick unavoidable, and the truth is that Mills didn't (at this point in her career) have the sophistication to match her lovely voice. Because of that, and because the sound is so different from anything Mills did later on, this album is mostly of interest to Bacharach/David fans.

LINK to cover: http://beta.yousendit.com/transfer.php? ... 7E7B0E3D5F
Alistair

Post by Alistair »

We owe you one, Keith! Thanks again - so good to be able to hear this legendary album for the first time!

Alistair
markus

Burt Samples

Post by markus »

One of Burt's songs that I've never been able to find, but intrigues me, is "Move It On The Backbeat" by Burt & The Backbeats. It supposedly features a young Dionne doing background vocals. A copy of the vinyl '45 rpm is currently listed on e-bay for a starting bid of $35.00. Does anyone have this track? Is it on any current Burt compilation that anyone is aware of? Thanks!
An Enormous BB Fan

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

Thanks Keith so much for these songs.... some of which I've never heard and which are just fantastic! I'll be listening to these songs for a long, long time, thanks to you!
KeithBurke

Limited Time

Post by KeithBurke »

Sorry.
Last edited by KeithBurke on Fri May 19, 2006 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Minnick

Stephanie & Carole

Post by Bill Minnick »

Thank you so much, Keith, for affording us the chance to hear this material! For me, it's great to revisit the "CBS" album w/o having to fork over an entire week's lunch allowance! I'm also looking forward to hearing the Mills record, as I too have heard only a few of the songs heretofore. Thanks again!!
Suzklau

Post by Suzklau »

Hi Keith,
I missed this one! Is this available on CD?

Susan
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Keith - Where have the songs gone???? I didn't get a chance to hear them! :cry:
KeithBurke

For The First Time

Post by KeithBurke »

Andrew-

Please see the "Reminder: Please post only rare or out-of-print recordings" thread.

Best regards,

Keith