Burt Bacharach BBC 2 Interview Pt. 2

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Steve Owen

Burt Bacharach BBC 2 Interview Pt. 2

Post by Steve Owen »

Just like to say that listening to Pt. 2 of the BBC 2 "Burt Bacharach Story"..
I enjoyed it very much. I liked it much better than Pt. 1, and recommend
it highly to anyone interested in Burt's history. It was fantastic!!!
An Enormous BB Fan

Re: Burt Bacharach BBC 2 Interview Pt. 2

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

Steve Owen wrote:Just like to say that listening to Pt. 2 of the BBC 2 "Burt Bacharach Story"..
I enjoyed it very much. I liked it much better than Pt. 1, and recommend
it highly to anyone interested in Burt's history. It was fantastic!!!
Would you please post the link again? Thanks!
pljms

Re Part Two of BB Radio Doc

Post by pljms »

I thought the part that dealt with Bacharach's years with Carole Bayer Sager was far too brief. This is not the first documentary of this type about Bacharach on BBC radio and once again 'On My Own' not only didn't get played it didn't even get a mention. At least Chistopher Cross cleared up a lot of the mystery surrounding who did what in the writing of 'Arthur's Theme', Peter Allen just supplying the lyric to the chorus but not the tune.
Paul
DARIO DARII

RE:Bacharach Radio 2 BBC Broadcast, point of Carole BSager

Post by DARIO DARII »

The ex-wife of Burt Bacharach, told the BBC radio-docu style, that there is a part in the character of BB , her -then husband...that is dark and sad.

Or something to that effect. That this dark and sad place is where the Maestro goes to --when he wants to be only by himself. And that BB is not comfortable in solving this dark of "his", I always wonder, .,...the roots of Wanting Things,....Whoever You Are ....and April Fools, comes from when I hear happy songs like Raindrops, The World Is a Circle...then, change gear to Loneliness Remebers...maybe now...slowly we are getting the answers to this.....

Not probably in the context from which these sad songs came from, but more on the a very,very internal ...deeper part of a person can some sadness come, that the delicate...very sentient..ala-Michel Legrand, that these sentiments really come from...One is almost has the tendency to cuddle up to these songs...because they are almost like innocent like a baby.

I have know many Artists from the aspect of painting, writers, poets...cinema but they are of --different strokes, maybe because they are of ---different folks...BB is really unique, and just but ONE.

Part of me as a fan wants him to be there...and possibly be creative, but some part of me as fan, would not want to meet him there...can be dangerous...imagine me trying to get a fan authograph or signature, and he 's there....bad timing!! -DD
Sara Dale

The BBC Radio Bacharach Doc

Post by Sara Dale »

I agree with PLJMS. They should have spent more time on Bacharach's years with Carole Bayer Sager. Despite what we might feel about the overall quality of their work together, 11-12 years and 7 US Top 40 hits, including 3 No.1s, shouldn't have been disposed of in a matter of minutes. And yes, why does 'On My Own' always get ignored on programmes like this? Good to hear Christopher Cross put the record straight on the writing of 'Arthur's Theme', completely contradicting Serene Dominick's theory in his book that Peter Allen wrote the tune to the chorus. To me the chorus sounds like pure Bacharach. In fact, it's not too dissimilar harmonically to the chorus of 'Something Big'.
Sara
x

Dominic and Arthur's Theme

Post by x »

I recall Carol saying on another ocasion that Peter Allen had been included only because of the "when you get caught between the moon and New York City". I didn't read Dominic's book, but maybe this is all that he meant? I mean, not that he wrote everything down to the chorus, but that he wrote the verse used in the chorus?
x

Post by x »

Sorry, I misread the post. The poster said only that, according to Dominic, Allen wrote the tune that goes with the chorus verse.
Carol said, and this is what I was trying to say, that Allen was included because SHE took the line used in the chorus from another song of Allen's (maybe one he co-wrote with her, I don't recall). So, according to her, Allen didn't even get directly involved in the project.