Rhino Reissues In Trouble

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

warbachavid

Rhino Reissues In Trouble

Post by warbachavid »

From David Nathan

Right now, due to major changes at the Warner Music Group, our Rhino
Handmade series on Dionne is 'on hold'! I just have to start an e-
mail writing campaign to get the powers-to-be let us continue on: we
have much unreleased live material and we did plan to do the Warner
albums too. We expect some news in the next month or so. Re: other
Dcepter artists, Rhino only owns the Dionne Warwick Scepter
masters.
Alistair

Post by Alistair »

David - is there anything we can do to keep this excellent reissue series continuing? Maybe if we all contact the "powers-that-be" by email, letting them know that there are many out here who want these Dionne Warwick CDs to be available?
They are too good to do without!
warbachavid

Post by warbachavid »

I am not David. I posted a message from him.
Alistair

Post by Alistair »

Sorry, I thought that he might read the messages here - I did realise that you were merely passing on the info - but felt I had to "do something" to keep these releases happening.
Apologies if I have erred......
GehVorbei

Thanx Warbachavid!!!

Post by GehVorbei »

Thanx, Warbachavid, for your post and for keeping us informed on so many issues concerning the three people that comprise your name. Keep up the good work!..It's a shame about Rhino since they have played such an important role in keeping the BB/HD/DW alive during the last decade and the recent handmade issues are so full of wonderful surprises. There is only place I could think of that could possibly fill the gap if Rhino really exited the projects...There was word some time ago that Germany's Bear Family Records was considering to release Dionne's entire ouevre (Scepter,Warner,Arista) on CD. They are well known for this sort of massive and carefully done endeavour. They have released for example carreer overview boxes on Lotte Lenya (11 CDs) and on Rosemary Clooney (totalling 22 CDS). You can find them at: www.bear-family.de. Greetings from the Rhine, Andreas
mark
Site Admin

Post by mark »

This is unfortunate news. The fact that Dionne's CDs were released on Rhino Handmade--as opposed to Rhino--let me to believe they were labors of love for the label and not held to the same profitability standard that ordinary reissues are subject to. This disturbs me, because I've always been a fan of Rhino and I thought the Handmade series was truly designed to showcase artists with a limited albeit devoted fanbase. When you look at the other releases in the series, you can't help but wonder how Dionne could be any less profitable than the Neon Philharmonic Orchestra or the Pandoras.

I've purchased all the Dionne reissues on Handmade and I'd encourage everyone here to as well. I can guarantee you the sound quality is a huge improvement from your dusty old LPs...
warbachavid

Post by warbachavid »

Mark,money is everthing! With new people coming in, they will need to make a mark for themselves and that usually means a new direction.
Hopefully the series will continue, but as of now, it's on hold!
So that means after the 5000 copies are gone, thats it! I was hoping they would release first the last Dionne/Burt/Hal album DIONNE from 1972 on Warner, I just Have To Breathe, My First Nigth Alone Without You, Close To You, One Less Bell To Answer, Hasbrook Heights,etc coupled with JUST BEING MYSELF from 1973 as promised.
nymusicalsguy

RE: Rhino Reissues

Post by nymusicalsguy »

Could you please post an email address to which we can write Warner Music Group honchos about this disturbing development? As David mentioned, it's important to speak up now, and I'd like to do so, as I'm sure many others will, too. Thanks.
Alistair

Post by Alistair »

I emailed David Nathan re this and received this reply on Thursday:

"It is not accurate that it is DEFINITELY on hold; I am planning to speak with the folks there (hopefully today) and express my feelings about us continuing the series...so please hold on!!! :)"

Soulfully yours,

David
THE SOUL MUSIC STORE
www.soulmusic.com

Fingers crossed, then..........