California

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Alistair

California

Post by Alistair »

Just got hold of the Rhino expanded "Very Dionne" CD - a superb re-release - I just love all those extra "live" tracks.
And there is a new (to me, anyway) Bacharach song in there too - "California". Jaunty, finger-popping - and very catchy! It may be minor Bacharach, but it's a major discovery for me.
It says in David Nathan's well-penned sleeve notes that further Dionne Rhino reissues will have more "live" sides included too - can't wait for them!
warbachavid

Post by warbachavid »

I would have liked to see included the follow up 1971 He's Moving On and Amanda (both versions), also Monday Monday,etc.
BachtoBacharach

California, Duets, and Scepter Strangness

Post by BachtoBacharach »

California, the first time I heard it seemed really strange for Bacharach-way too rushed but on numerous listens since then it has really grown on me and Hal's lyrics and Dionne's amazing delivery are really super. It is unlike anything I have ever heard from Burt or Dionne. Wonder if there are any other tracks in the vaults that we don't know about?

I did not care much for BJ/Dionne duet on "Medals"-BJ's phrasing was off and he was no match for Dionne-her solo version is just great, but loved their duet of Make It Easy On Yourself-they seemed to mesh well and just loved the arrangement-I am assuming Burt was the arranger-Of course Dionne's live version of Make It .... was stunning. Exciting to hear material that had not seen the light of day since 1969 or 1970. The other live tracks were pretty awesome and it was great to finally have a true STEREO version of Who Gets the Guy. I would have loved to have Amanda and He's Moving On included here. To learn from the liner notes that the Dionne/BJ duets as well as Dionne solo Medals were recorded in late 1969 before many of the tracks for the I'll Never Fall In Love Again were recorded (who decided not to put Medals on the INFILA album?) According to the tape boxes for those late 1969 sessions Everybody's Out of Town was recorded as a solo track by Dionne-and most probably before BJ's version but the tape itself could not be found. Interesting how shoddily and stupidly Scepter treated these tracks.

And VOD/W of the W Rhino reissues, I was astounded to find out that I Say A Little Prayer was recorded in the summer of 66 and apparently laid in the Scepter vaults while the Here Where There Is Love Album was being put together. ISALP did not make an album until Windows of the World was released in September of 1967. Go figure. And on top of that Burt did not want it released. It was Burt and Dionne's first RIAA certified gold single. I understand that there was no plan to ever release it as a single until DJs all over the country started playing it off the album and forced Florence Greenberg to release it as a single. Due to Scepter's shoddy recordkeeping and handling of their masters-I wonder how many lost tracks there really are? We may never know.....
BurtsDaBomb

Post by BurtsDaBomb »

I'm trying with all my might to not be depressed over the lost Dionne recording of "Out of Town"! :cry:
vincent.cole

Post by vincent.cole »

Bonjour BachtoBacharach;

Well you need to hear Mr. Chuck Jackson version of, "They Don't Give Medals To Yeserday's Hero"! 8)

It sounds like someone is using a Anvil as a Instrument! Truly awesome!!!

I don't know where Burt comes up with this stuff! 8) :?:
Take care;

Vincent
Mr. X

California

Post by Mr. X »

I had never hear of this song, California. It's nowhere to be found in Wesleys' Hitmaker Archive. Can anyone provide more information?
whatsitallabout

Post by whatsitallabout »

this song has just been released on the Dionne Warwick RE-ISSUE Very Dionne on the RHINO HANDMADE label it's a track recorded in 1970 that was found in the vaults by David Nathan during his research written by Burt & Hal this release also includes two duets with BJ THOMAS "they don't give medals to yesterday's heroes" and "make it easy on yourself" and previously unissued "live" tracks from Dionne