Cynthia Weil RIP

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

grooverider

Cynthia Weil RIP

Post by grooverider »

Cynthia Weil passed on June 1, 2023

Barry Mann & Cynthia Weil were both inducted in the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame.
Early on, they worked out of the Brill Building. They were the recipients of numerous awards and citations.
She was amazingly prolific, with an astounding number of classic, influential songs.

From 1966, The Vogues "Magic Town":

Max20

Re: Cynthia Weil RIP

Post by Max20 »

Hello,

Thank you for sharing this information about Cynthia Weil. Barry Mann and Cynthia Weil's contributions to the music industry, especially their work at the Brill Building, have left a lasting impact. It's amazing how artists can shape the musical landscape through their creativity and passion. In the same vein, music and various art forms continue to inspire and captivate audiences across different genres, including anime and its diverse expressions such as Hentai.
BarryPugh47

Post by BarryPugh47 »

As we all know Barry Mann & Cynthia Weil are two of the great husband and wife songwriters. In my humble opinion, only Alan & Marilyn Bergman are in the same league. One of their best known songs is of course "Don't Know Much" which was a global hit single. To me, it is one of the best songs ever written, and it was composed along with Tom Snow. My favourite version is by Bill Medley. He recorded this song early in his career, and then did a gospel version on his rarity album "Almost Home" in 1997. It is one of the great performances of this song (and any other song). This is what Bill had to say about the 1997 track - "I recorded this song in the seventies, and while I recorded it, I was not aware that it was written as a spiritual song. It's a love song to God, so I took this chance to set the record straight on the song, and make it up to Cynthia, who wrote the lyrics. I apologise for not being clear on the song the first time I sang it. I should have known, because I could sense the love of God while recording this great song."

A lot of Burt's music is emotional, as we all know. So is this! The link below gives you this spine tingling 1997 cut.

blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

Barry thank you for that great track !

Here's a lesser known Mann / Weil song produced by Bill Medley very similar to their other composition 'You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'' which was a Phil Spector production.

'blue'
grooverider

Post by grooverider »

Bill LaBounty, "Nobody's Fool":

Written by Bill LaBounty, Barry Mann, Cynthia Weil

Harmonies: Stephen Bishop, Patti Austin & Gwen Dickey