R.I.P.—Stephen Sondheim

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Bruce Bernard Williams

R.I.P.—Stephen Sondheim

Post by Bruce Bernard Williams »

Broadway Legend Stephen Sondheim has passed away at age 91. He was one of Broadway's most popular composers. One of my favorite compositions by him was a song made famous by Judy Collins and also Frank Sinatra. And, of course, "Oklahoma", being from Oklahoma myself. My condolences are extended to his family, friends, and his many fans.
Bruce Bernard Williams

Re: R.I.P.—Stephen Sondheim

Post by Bruce Bernard Williams »

I forgot to mention the name of that song I referenced in my initial post: "Send In The Clowns".
Blair N. Cummings

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

Although Sondheim was tutored by lyricist Oscar Hammerstein, the two never collaborated. `Oklahoma!` was written by the latter with composer Richard Rogers. Sondheim did, however, write with Rogers the musical `Do I Hear a Waltz?`.
Nit-picky, I know. Sorry.
Anyway, the NYTimes almost never gets anything right any more but their obit for Sondheim is pretty good:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/26/thea ... 1fb7c3d6c6
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

Another Great one gone....a very Great one indeed!
Really looking forward to the 2021 re-make of this wonderful musical.
R.I.P Mr Sondheim, your legacy will live forever!

'blue'
pljms

Post by pljms »

Sondheim was often credited with reinventing the Broadway musical with themes and subject matter that differed greatly from the norm. Although I know many of the songs from his early shows, I'm much less familiar with his later work and it was only recently that I was introduced to 'Loving You' from his 1994 show 'Passion'.

Paul
Blair N. Cummings

Paul, like you, I lost track of Sondheim`s work after `...Night Music.`
He seemed enthusiastic about the coming re-make of `West Side Story` but set off alarms with his comment to the effect that it will surprise those of us (everyone on Earth?) familiar with the story. Do Tony and Maria develop Super Powers and abolish gang warfare? Do they discover that each is "transitioning" and exchange not vows but names? Is it animated?
I`m going to hide under the bed until this has passed.
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

Sometimes words fail......

"blue"
Blair N. Cummings

Without knowing his entire ouevre, I can`t cite a favorite. But this "situational" song from Follies still works for me - minus the theatrical drama that attends many of his more "cherished" favorites:
Djalma Junior

Post by Djalma Junior »

Another big loss for music.
Stephen has done great work.
He leaves a fantastic legacy.
Very sad.
pljms

Post by pljms »

We're aware that Sondheim collaborated with Richard Rodgers but what is less known is that he also wrote a song with the great composer's daughter, Mary. 'The Boy From....' is an obvious parody of 'The Girl From Ipanema' and it's a measure of Sondheim's genius that he was able to incorporate the Welsh town name of
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch into the lyrics.

Paul
Martin Johnson

Post by Martin Johnson »

What's so extraordinary about Sondheim's success in the musical theatre is that he achieved it all with highly sophisticated music and lyrics, and in the second half of the twentieth century when standards were supposed to have dropped alarmingly and with them the taste and discernment of the theatre going public. I've seen only two of his shows in the theatre, 'Company' and 'Follies', but I get the impression that they may well be his best. Here's my personal favourite number from 'Company', given a typically bravura performance here by Patti LuPone:
MarcoAmara

Post by MarcoAmara »

RIP Stephen Sondheim. You will be missed a lot.